Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Decisions..Decisions.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/decisions-decisions-79518/)

Jbrofish8 08-30-2011 05:58 PM

Decisions..Decisions..

4 Attachment(s)
So Im setting up my new 29g..and I bought my piece of driftwood today! I CANNOT decide how to place it. I took a few pictures of some of the ways Ive tried it. Anyone have any ideas?

I dont think I want to add any rocks since my driftwood is on the large size.. any thoughts?

SeaHorse 08-30-2011 07:02 PM

I like 2 and my favourite is 4. Lots of real plants going in there? Keep us posted on it's progress please.

Jbrofish8 08-30-2011 07:15 PM

Yes, that is my plan. I dont wanna put TOO much hard scape because I want more room for plants. Do you think that rocks or perhaps another small piece of DW is needed?

k19smith 08-30-2011 10:04 PM

2 is also my favorite, you could add a couple small rocks or a small piece of driftwood on the front left or just plant it all with just the big piece. I would probably add another small piece of driftwood and plants but it's all about how you want it.

Jbrofish8 08-31-2011 08:19 AM

I definitely plan on heavily planting it, maybe I'll grab another small piece of wood. I was looking at getting kribs at first which need lots of caves. Now I am looking into German Blue Rams, tank raised off of aquabid. I wasn't going to do rams since my pH is a little too high but these are raised in pH of 7.4..my pH is a steady 7.5 so this should work right?

BarbH 08-31-2011 10:53 AM

I like the way number 4 looks.

Byron 08-31-2011 11:44 AM

I think photo 1 has the best possibility, if you turn the wood so the larger end (now on the left) is toward the rear right corner and the wood is jutting into the tank diagonally. This will add distance to the perception of space. Keeping it the same way up should also create some space underneath which is useful for many fish that like a retreat, esp if you get any catfish/loaches.

Jbrofish8 08-31-2011 11:50 AM

Ill try that when I get home and post a picture..The wood has a lot of potential cave possibilities which I really like. But perhaps it has SO many options that I almost don't like it because I cant decide which way to put it. >.<

Also about my other questions, If a fish (such as german blue rams) is tank raised in a pH of 7.4 will I have any long term issues with these fish (since in the wild they like softer acidic water) so long as I keep that pH steady around 7.4?

BarbH 08-31-2011 11:56 AM

From the profile on the blue ram if they are tanked raised it does say to keep them in the same conditions that they were raised. So if raised in ph of 7.4 would aim to keep them in that area. Also are you planning on putting any other fish in this tank?

Jbrofish8 08-31-2011 11:59 AM

Yes but I haven't quite decided on that yet. Some sort of peaceful shoaling fish, maybe some bottom feeders. Probably a few otos too because I think they're adorable.