Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Anyone have a Tetra Whisper Air Pump? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/anyone-have-tetra-whisper-air-pump-79517/)

Inga 08-30-2011 05:57 PM

Anyone have a Tetra Whisper Air Pump?

I am just curious as to whether any of you use this pump with only one tube? Do you just let the other hole blow air or do you block it somehow? I was thinking that if I just let it blow air in the cabinet and had the one tube hooked up it might be a little quieter and smaller bubbles? Yeah, I am sure it is obvious, I am NOT mechanical.

Oh, and I like the pump in the cabinet underneath, is that an issue?

DKRST 08-30-2011 06:03 PM

I use to have one and mine had a "T" connector to connect the two outputs together. You could purchase an inexpensive gang valve to work as a "T" connector. That also allows you to vent excess air pressure giving you finer control of the output. You don't want to totally block a tube. If I'm correct, the pump has two diaphragms and a total block would damage one diaphragm, making it noisier eventually as it fails.

In a cabinet is fine, they don't get overheated.

I think it's noisier if you have one tube "wide open"

k19smith 08-30-2011 06:12 PM

I have 2, like dkrst said you have to use a t connector, if you leave it open your pump won't work and I believe it would cause damaged if you blocked it, a connector is less than a dollar. The whisper 100 I bought sucks it's less than 6 months old and has quit working I think it may just be bad luck, the deep water one I have is amazing the best air pump I've ever bought.

Inga 08-30-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 806157)
I use to have one and mine had a "T" connector to connect the two outputs together. You could purchase an inexpensive gang valve to work as a "T" connector. That also allows you to vent excess air pressure giving you finer control of the output. You don't want to totally block a tube. If I'm correct, the pump has two diaphragms and a total block would damage one diaphragm, making it noisier eventually as it fails.

In a cabinet is fine, they don't get overheated.

I think it's noisier if you have one tube "wide open"

Is a "T" connector something one can buy at a hardware store? I was kind of thinking that leaving it open would sort of help control the amount of air but I guess it makes sense to have it partly blocked at least.

DKRST 08-30-2011 08:35 PM

You might be able to find one at a hardware store, but probably not at a "big-box" store.

Strand 08-30-2011 09:25 PM

I almost bought one but the reviews are so mixed. I mainly found them saying it quit working or got noisy after a few months. Then I find DIY fixes on the noise... I didn't hassle with them.

I bought some cheap Ebay pump so if and when it blows up it's not really a big deal. My dad has some cheap Walmart pump and it's been running for 8 years now non-stop. So you really can't tell with those things it seems.

I found those T connectors at Walmart. Any LFS will have them also.

If, for some reason, you don't have either in your area go to the plumbing section of a hardware store. If you can't find plastic ones the copper waterline ones will work.

If all that fails I'll send you some.

k19smith 08-30-2011 09:50 PM

The t connectors are at walmart in the aquarium department or any pet store, you don't want to block it but run all the air into one air tube. Give me a minute and I'll go take a picture. If you leave one side open on my pumps they will not work at all, all of the air goes outside not into the line. Maybe the whispers aren't great like I was saying my 100 gave me problems from the day I bought it, my big deep water whisper pump is amazing and it has a lifetime warranty but it's rated for tanks over 150g.

Inga 08-31-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 806437)
The t connectors are at walmart in the aquarium department or any pet store, you don't want to block it but run all the air into one air tube. Give me a minute and I'll go take a picture. If you leave one side open on my pumps they will not work at all, all of the air goes outside not into the line. Maybe the whispers aren't great like I was saying my 100 gave me problems from the day I bought it, my big deep water whisper pump is amazing and it has a lifetime warranty but it's rated for tanks over 150g.

I would so appreciate a picture. I am a visual kind of person. Thanks :-)

k19smith 09-01-2011 12:54 PM

I'm sorry I got distracted, I will go take a pic right now and have it up in about 10 min.

k19smith 09-01-2011 01:24 PM

Here you go, I did not take a pic of the gang valve but I can it you need me to.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...h/100_0357.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...h/100_0356.jpg