Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY c02 for your aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-c02-your-aquarium-79506/)

Jerhyer 08-30-2011 05:05 PM

DIY c02 for your aquarium

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone would be intereseted in me posting a How to for a DIY c02 setup. I'm about to reset mine and could take the time to explain what I did and how mine works. They are really simple I'll post pics and everything. If anyones interested LMK!:-)

Snappyarcher 08-30-2011 05:13 PM

i just set mine up so yes id be interested!

Strand 08-30-2011 05:16 PM

Yeah I read through quite a few DIY on this.

My plants are growing/look very well so I never did it.

lcbrent 08-30-2011 05:19 PM

I'd like that too. I've been itching to explore the happy world that CO2 helps to create. And DIY is always a nice way to aid the pocket book.
Is it a bio based or CO2 filled canister based?

Jerhyer 08-30-2011 05:33 PM

Wow quite a response so quickly. I will get it done and posted this evening. Its really cheap and simple. I tried a couple different ones and this worked the best so I'll share it with everyone!

PRichs87 09-04-2011 09:05 PM

Weird... I just made my DIY CO2 system for the 29 gallon in my room.

What were all of your experiences in how long it took for the bubbles to appear? I set it up a half hour ago and I have nothing so far.

2 liter bottle with 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and .25 teaspoon of yeast.... producing nothing so far.

Any suggestions on what I maybe did wrong or am I being impatient?

Jerhyer 09-05-2011 12:40 AM

Wait at least 24 hours before you start to worry. Its slow to start but once it does its fairly steady for about 2 to 3 weeks.

Snappyarcher 09-05-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 813285)

What were all of your experiences in how long it took for the bubbles to appear? I set it up a half hour ago and I have nothing so far.

2 liter bottle with 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and .25 teaspoon of yeast.... producing nothing so far.

Posted via Mobile Device

Snappyarcher 09-05-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 813285)

You need at least a full teaspoon of yeast... That amount of yeast will die before it becomes active.
Posted via Mobile Device

PRichs87 09-05-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappyarcher (Post 813765)
You need at least a full teaspoon of yeast... That amount of yeast will die before it becomes active.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok... looks like I'm going to have to remake my bottle. Not a big deal, I bought a whole jar of yeast at the store. Can I just add the additon yeast to my current bottle or should I start from scratch?

Second question... I have a check valve that I'm not sure works. Should I be able to blow air through it myself?

Thanks for the help!