Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   question on cories (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-cories-79483/)

KendraMc 08-30-2011 11:33 AM

question on cories

there seem to be a lot of different kinds of cories, and i'd like to get some (for a future tank, my current one is pretty much full) but was wondering if there is any real differences between them other than coloration. are there some that are easier than other/would do better in hard, basic water (pH around 7.7)?

Byron 08-30-2011 02:05 PM

The two most commonly-available corys are the Corydoras aeneus and Corydoras paleatus, both also have an albino form; these can manage in medium hard to hard water with a pH in the high 7's.

A few others, such as Corydoras sterbai, Corydoras panda and Corydoras trilineatus are often available, and should fare OK, although C. panda can be quite sensitive.

Most other species if available will be wild caught, and need soft to medium hard water, pH preferably below 7 but in the low 7's some may manage. Many of these are in our profiles, under catfish, if you'd like to check them out. There may be some that would be OK with harder water; this will be indicated under the preferred water parameters for each species.

Byron.

zof 08-30-2011 03:03 PM

While not technically a cory, the Emerald Catfish does fine at a pH of 8. Thanks to byrons profile of this fish I went out a grabbed some a while back since the high pH of my water is pushing it for cories.

KendraMc 08-30-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 805893)
While not technically a cory, the Emerald Catfish does fine at a pH of 8. Thanks to byrons profile of this fish I went out a grabbed some a while back since the high pH of my water is pushing it for cories.

they are kind of cute, too aren't they.

i'm planning on replacing the common pleco i currently have in my 29 gal tank with something a little more fun once i get a bigger tank to move him to, hopefully within a year. my high pH makes finding something a little more challenging.

KendraMc 08-30-2011 03:07 PM

just remembered another detail that my make things more complicated. i have a bunch of tiger barbs. are they going to be a problem? what bottom feeders/catfish types would be ok with them? (assuming they are still around when i get a bigger tank)

Inga 08-30-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 805900)
just remembered another detail that my make things more complicated. i have a bunch of tiger barbs. are they going to be a problem? what bottom feeders/catfish types would be ok with them? (assuming they are still around when i get a bigger tank)

I had Tiger Barbs with Cories and they were not a problem at all. I am assuming you have a nice group of Tiger Barbs? 10 or so? With Tiger Barbs, the more you have the less they harrass other fish. I just have Pepper Cories and Albino and they are so much fun to watch. They almost sit up on their tails and look around the tank. I swear they bounce too watching them. They are really cute.

KendraMc 08-30-2011 03:59 PM

i have 9 tigers. you don't think they would be a problem for cories or the like?

Inga 08-30-2011 04:01 PM

All I can say is that mine never caused any issue at all for the Cories. Cories do like to hide so plenty of plants and some drift wood would be good.

Byron 08-30-2011 05:08 PM

Substrate fish are generally fine with Tiger Barb, it is upper fish that have problems (or usually do). So that's OK. And the Emerald Brochis splendens is another as zof said; it gets larger than corys though, but if this is the 29g a group of 4-5 is fine. It is very similar to the Corydoras aeneus, many stores get them mixed. Profile info sorts this out so you can tell which they are if you see them. Both appear under identical common names. A whiptail catfish might also work.

KendraMc 08-30-2011 05:11 PM

yay options :)