Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with stocking ideas 55g, please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-stocking-ideas-55g-please-79420/)

BigMatt14 08-29-2011 07:04 PM

Help with stocking ideas 55g, please
 
Hi guys, I'm Matt and I'm new to the forum. Lots of cool stuff on here.

I have come here in search of some help. First, I don't know which fish I like better, as I like both cardinal tetras and zebra danios equally. Secondly, if I ever get around to picking one, I need help figuring out suitable tank mates for them.

Question is, when it comes down to it, what would be some ideal tank mates for zebra danios? Also, should I go the cardinal tetra route, what would play nice with them? Anybody offer some suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Inga 08-29-2011 07:35 PM

Can't really say much as to which fish are right in that situation but just wanted to say "Welcome!" I am happy to have another fish enthusiast to share stories with.

BarbH 08-29-2011 09:24 PM

Hello Matt and welcome to TFK :-D

Do you know what the hardness and the ph of your water is? You can find out the GH, general hardness, and KH, carbon hardness from your local water people. Most have this information online, if you can not find it online than you can call and ask them for the information. This will help in choosing suitalbe fish that will work with your water. Also if you have not already seen the fish profiles, this would be a good place to start on looking at different types of fish. The link for the profiles can be found at the top of the page second tab from the left. Once you have an idea of the different type of fish that you may be interested in keeping we can better advise you on what would be compatiable with each other.

Byron 08-30-2011 11:28 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you with us.

Barb mentioned the fish profiles, and there is usually a section on suitable tankmates for the species within eaqch profile. On a general note, Cardinal Tetra and Zebra Danio are not the best together solely due to their varying levels of activity. Cardinals are quiet fish that appreciate heavily-planted and dimly-lit aquaria (and need soft water), whereas danio species are all active swimmers. BTW, if the fish name is used in a post exactly as it appears in the profile (scientific or common) it will shade and you can click on it to see that profile.

Byron.

BigMatt14 08-30-2011 04:41 PM

So Byron, if you were to pick tank mates for the Zebra Danio, what would you pick? Also, if you were to build around Cardinal Tetras, what would you pick?

Much appreciated.

Matt

Byron 08-30-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMatt14 (Post 806064)
So Byron, if you were to pick tank mates for the Zebra Danio, what would you pick? Also, if you were to build around Cardinal Tetras, what would you pick?

Much appreciated.

Matt

This is a 55g, standard 4-feet in length presumably.

With the Zebra danio: Loaches for the substrate, ideal. There are several species that remain smallish, under 5 inches, see the profiles under cyprinids. [Avoid the clown loach, much too large.] Several chunks of wood, loaches need their own "spot" and like to select it themselves, so several chunks of wood wedged with rounded rock provides homes, and replicates their habitat streams.

For other mid-water/upper fish, there are other danio species, again under cyprinids in the profiles with photos. Some of the small/medium peaceful barbs, the Black Ruby Barb is one of my favourites. Medium/larger characins such as the Congo Tetra, Pristella Tetra. These are active enough to match the danio well. It may seem odd to suggest a pencilfish, but there is one species that is rather boisterous and would manage, and that is Nannostomus beckfordi. It is also commonly available. It is a bit feisty, much like danio/barb, so a good match.

You could have a bit of water movement here, not a lot mind, but this is more of a stream habitat. Check out the photo of my 90g Stream habitat for one illustration.

With cardinal tetra: nothing active, only quiet peaceful fish. This would be a completely different environment from the other. Slow water movement, more of a lagoon or flooded forest habitat; thick plants, with floating plants absolutely a must. And I am assuming soft slightly acidic water; many of these suggestions, including cardinals, do not last long in basic or medium hard water. Substrate fish like several cory species, Twig Catfish, Whiptail Catfish, Bristlenose Pleco.

Other mid-to upper fish: Hatchetfish [profiles under characins], Brilliant Rummy nose Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, and other species in Hemigrammus; several of the Rosy clade tetra species in Hyphessobrycon [profiles under characins], Diamond Tetra, and many others. Medium rasbora such as the species in Trigonostigma [profiles under cyprinids]. Pencilfish [Nannostomus species under characins]. Dwarf cichlids would be possible, a harem or a pair depending upon species; I am of two minds with cichlids, I have some dwarfs but they are troublesome when spawning, which is constant.

This should give you some ideas.

BigMatt14 08-30-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 806123)
This is a 55g, standard 4-feet in length presumably.

With the Zebra danio: Loaches for the substrate, ideal. There are several species that remain smallish, under 5 inches, see the profiles under cyprinids. [Avoid the clown loach, much too large.] Several chunks of wood, loaches need their own "spot" and like to select it themselves, so several chunks of wood wedged with rounded rock provides homes, and replicates their habitat streams.

For other mid-water/upper fish, there are other danio species, again under cyprinids in the profiles with photos. Some of the small/medium peaceful barbs, the Black Ruby Barb is one of my favourites. Medium/larger characins such as the Congo Tetra, Pristella Tetra. These are active enough to match the danio well. It may seem odd to suggest a pencilfish, but there is one species that is rather boisterous and would manage, and that is Nannostomus beckfordi. It is also commonly available. It is a bit feisty, much like danio/barb, so a good match.

You could have a bit of water movement here, not a lot mind, but this is more of a stream habitat. Check out the photo of my 90g Stream habitat for one illustration.

With cardinal tetra: nothing active, only quiet peaceful fish. This would be a completely different environment from the other. Slow water movement, more of a lagoon or flooded forest habitat; thick plants, with floating plants absolutely a must. And I am assuming soft slightly acidic water; many of these suggestions, including cardinals, do not last long in basic or medium hard water. Substrate fish like several cory species, Twig Catfish, Whiptail Catfish, Bristlenose Pleco.

Other mid-to upper fish: Hatchetfish [profiles under characins], Brilliant Rummy nose Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, and other species in Hemigrammus; several of the Rosy clade tetra species in Hyphessobrycon [profiles under characins], Diamond Tetra, and many others. Medium rasbora such as the species in Trigonostigma [profiles under cyprinids]. Pencilfish [Nannostomus species under characins]. Dwarf cichlids would be possible, a harem or a pair depending upon species; I am of two minds with cichlids, I have some dwarfs but they are troublesome when spawning, which is constant.

This should give you some ideas.

Wow, I'm floored by your wealth of knowledge. I'll really have to consider which direction I want to take this, because both sound very interesting.

Thank you for you help thus far. Unfortunately I still don't know what I want to do.

Byron 08-31-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMatt14 (Post 806324)
Wow, I'm floored by your wealth of knowledge. I'll really have to consider which direction I want to take this, because both sound very interesting.

Thank you for you help thus far. Unfortunately I still don't know what I want to do.

At least you are planning ahead, something many don't do and end up with quite unsuitable tankmates then wonder why this or that fish is sick and/or dead. Not all fish live well with all other fish.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2