Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Breeding Live Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/breeding-live-fish-79387/)

JDcompy 08-29-2011 11:24 AM

Breeding Live Fish

I've searched around online and asked different people but have not been able to find any helpful answers.

I want to cross breed live bearing fish for no purpose other than pleasure and having unique-ish looking fish.

I have a separate tank in which I intend to place the females and males. I recognize I need more females than males.

What I would like to know is, which fish make for good (or possible) cross-breeding?

Guppies (males) have the beautiful fins - is there another fish I can cross them with?
Is there a molly / something combination that creates a neat breed?
Any others?

Thank you so much for your input / ideas

KendraMc 08-29-2011 11:54 AM

you can cross mollies and guppies and you can cross swordtails and platies. i don't know about any of the other livebearers, but these seem to be the most common.

if my information is incorrect, someone please correct it. i'm confident, but i have been known to be wrong :/

Pisces47 08-29-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDcompy (Post 804328)
I've searched around online and asked different people but have not been able to find any helpful answers.

I want to cross breed live bearing fish for no purpose other than pleasure and having unique-ish looking fish.

I have a separate tank in which I intend to place the females and males. I recognize I need more females than males.

What I would like to know is, which fish make for good (or possible) cross-breeding?

Guppies (males) have the beautiful fins - is there another fish I can cross them with?
Is there a molly / something combination that creates a neat breed?
Any others?

Thank you so much for your input / ideas

As far as I am aware, swords and platies are the only two types that will cross breed. If it was possible to cross breed the other types of livebearers it would have been done long ago, given that they are mostly kept in community tanks.

zof 08-29-2011 06:40 PM

Never heard of muppies? Mollies and guppies can as far as I've heard. I've also heard guppies and endlers. Just remember the female should be the larger of the two species as the fry could outgrow the mothers womb or birthing canal.

JDcompy 08-29-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 804887)
Never heard of muppies? Mollies and guppies can as far as I've heard. I've also heard guppies and endlers. Just remember the female should be the larger of the two species as the fry could outgrow the mothers womb or birthing canal.

good point!