Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Glass Catfish - missing tail fins and barbels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/glass-catfish-missing-tail-fins-barbels-79371/)

AquaChief 08-29-2011 07:03 AM

Glass Catfish - missing tail fins and barbels

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with glass catfish and an answer for why mine have all lost their tail fins and barbels. I've had six of them for many months now and they all look very healthy otherwise, i.e., no splotches, no ich, normal behavior, eating well, etc.. They live with mostly other varieties of tetras (neons and x-rays), pigmy Gouramis, mollies, two Plecos and a yo-yo loach but I've never noticed any of them bullying the catfish. And I've never noticed the catfish sparring among themselves. They live in a very sparsely populated 72g tank that receives frequent water changes and has an excellent fluval external filtering system. No ammonia or nitrites and my nitrates have never been above 10ppm. Water is hard and pH is 7.4. Any thoughts?
Thanks very much-

JDcompy 08-29-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaChief (Post 804167)
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with glass catfish and an answer for why mine have all lost their tail fins and barbels. I've had six of them for many months now and they all look very healthy otherwise, i.e., no splotches, no ich, normal behavior, eating well, etc.. They live with mostly other varieties of tetras (neons and x-rays), pigmy Gouramis, mollies, two Plecos and a yo-yo loach but I've never noticed any of them bullying the catfish. And I've never noticed the catfish sparring among themselves. They live in a very sparsely populated 72g tank that receives frequent water changes and has an excellent fluval external filtering system. No ammonia or nitrites and my nitrates have never been above 10ppm. Water is hard and pH is 7.4. Any thoughts?
Thanks very much-

I have this fish and have not experienced this. Maybe the gouramis are nipping a bit? I'll keep checking on mine and if it happens, will let you know.

Byron 08-29-2011 04:01 PM

It would seem that some fish is nipping them. You have several "possibles" for this. Either tetra species, pygmy sparkling gourami, loach (being alone), and pleco; not sure about molly. If you really see no sign of any form of chasing during the day, it would seem to suggest a nocturnal culprit which would point to the pleco. I know these can "attack" other fish they take a dislike to.

The loach is a social fish and needs a group. Alone they can be highly stressed. Tetra species kept in less than 5 will often become aggressive, or if they are otherwise stressed by space, water, whatever. Sparkling gourami males when spawning (= protecting the eggs/fry in the bubblenest) can be very aggressive to any fish that approaches their "space," being the nest area. These are all generalities, but possibilities. If I could observe the interactions for a time I might spot something more definitive.

Byron.

AquaChief 08-29-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 804671)
It would seem that some fish is nipping them. You have several "possibles" for this. Either tetra species, pygmy sparkling gourami, loach (being alone), and pleco; not sure about molly. If you really see no sign of any form of chasing during the day, it would seem to suggest a nocturnal culprit which would point to the pleco. I know these can "attack" other fish they take a dislike to.

The loach is a social fish and needs a group. Alone they can be highly stressed. Tetra species kept in less than 5 will often become aggressive, or if they are otherwise stressed by space, water, whatever. Sparkling gourami males when spawning (= protecting the eggs/fry in the bubblenest) can be very aggressive to any fish that approaches their "space," being the nest area. These are all generalities, but possibilities. If I could observe the interactions for a time I might spot something more definitive.

Byron.

Thanks for all the insight Byron. Lots of possibilities. What do you think about adding more aquascape? My tank is pretty sparce with it. I'm wondering if I haven't provided enough "territory" for each individual species to stake a claim. Or at least places to hide and feel secure. Sound reasonable?

Byron 08-29-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaChief (Post 805014)
Thanks for all the insight Byron. Lots of possibilities. What do you think about adding more aquascape? My tank is pretty sparce with it. I'm wondering if I haven't provided enough "territory" for each individual species to stake a claim. Or at least places to hide and feel secure. Sound reasonable?

The Glass Catfish as noted in the profile [click the shaded name to see the profile] needs lots of "cover" to be happy. Plants are ideal for this, and the other fish won't mind them either. Sparse or near-bare tanks can be very stressful to most fish.