Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (
-   -   Unsure what type of lighting fixture/hood I have (

OddballFishCoveter 08-28-2011 01:15 PM

Unsure what type of lighting fixture/hood I have
Like the title says, I've explored the hood that came with my 40 gallon tank, and I couldn't find anything that outwardly said whether it takes T5 or T8 tubes. The only information I could find was that it takes fluorescent tubes from the sticker on the back. It does have a working tube attached, though. Is there any way to tell what tubes I need? I'm going to have live plants in my tank, so any suggestions on what type of tubes that are good for plants would be appreciated.

I can also get pictures later, if needed.

BarbH 08-28-2011 01:19 PM

Is there any print on the tube, if so what does it say?

Quantum 08-28-2011 01:36 PM

Just measure the diameter of the tube. T-8 is one inch in diameter, T-5 is 5/8th of an inch.

OddballFishCoveter 08-29-2011 06:38 PM

Sorry for the silence guys, I recently went back to school and haven't been home. I'll be sure to look at the aquarium hood as soon as I get the chance!

OddballFishCoveter 09-02-2011 09:05 PM

After examining the bulb, it appears to have had the bulb type printed on the tube all along! Silly me for not looking in an obvious place! The tube is a T8, sorry for the bother guys.

BarbH 09-03-2011 10:34 AM

Not a problem at all, most tubes will have the necessary info on them, or at least enough info to be able to find out the additional information that you are looking for.

Byron 09-03-2011 11:42 AM

Now we know the type, fluorescent T8 tube, we can answer your initial qustion. For a planted tank, a tube with a full spectrum or "daylight" equivalent is best. The kelvin should be around 6500K. There are many to choose from, some good some terrible; I'll include the ones I have personal knowledge of and prefer.

If the cost isn't an issue, the Hagen Life-Glo 2 is ideal. ZooMed Ultra Sun is very similar and slightly less expensive. These you would buy from fish stores (or online). Much less expensive are hardware store brands; GE, Phillips and Sylvania all make "daylight" tubes with a kelvin around 6500K. Phillips I use myself on some tanks, they call theirs Alto Daylight Deluxe.

Tubes should be replaced every 12-18 months max.


OddballFishCoveter 09-03-2011 03:47 PM

It's a daylight tube, though I'm not sure how old the bulb is. I'll probably get a replacement of the one Byron suggested when I get my plants in a few days.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome