Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neons or glowlights? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neons-glowlights-79253/)

Jayy 08-27-2011 04:23 PM

Neons or glowlights?

For my 55 gallon I'm starting to stock I wanted atleast five more fish to make the total number of fish an nice even twenty, but since they're soo small I was thinking 8 or 10 maybe?

I plan to keep the following;

8 cherry barbs
3 platies( 1m2f)
3 marbled mollies(1m2f)
1 pearl gourmai
1 bn pleco( I have diftwood)

I wanted to keep another type of schoaling fish and I've researched and narrowed it down to the two, but I would like to hear some stories from people who keep them. I really want a fish that shoals tightly.

Thanks,;-)

Beaches 08-27-2011 09:58 PM

I have kept both and I can honestly say that neither species really shoaled tightly unless they became spooked by something. They would play follow the leader in the water current lol, but mainly didn't stay grouped together too much, but went off in all directions around the tank, exploring and doing their own thing, if they feel secure enough.

Jayy 08-28-2011 10:09 AM

Which would you recommend?

Byron 08-29-2011 10:54 AM

In my experience most characins do not shoal together that much; they simply need a group for their own comfort level. They will interact from time to time, some species more than others. Rummynose Tetra are the tightest shoaling characin I have come across, but they need soft acidic water. Check out the profile: Brilliant Rummy nose tetra. A group of 12 or more is suggested for this species.

Another similar shoaling fish that holds its group quite well are the rasbora of the Trigonostigma genus. Harlequin Rasbora, Lambchop Rasbora, Hengels Rasbora. With any of these, at least 9 in the group.

Byron.

JDcompy 08-29-2011 11:11 AM

I had 4 neons and a beta in a tank with other community. The neons would group together and, (no joke) one at a time, side swipe the beta. Then the neon that hit the beta would literally get back in the group and wait his turn to hit again. They bullied my poor beta to death. I don't recall anything like that happening with the glowlights.

Jayy 08-29-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 804284)
In my experience most characins do not shoal together that much; they simply need a group for their own comfort level. They will interact from time to time, some species more than others. Rummynose Tetra are the tightest shoaling characin I have come across, but they need soft acidic water. Check out the profile: Brilliant Rummy nose tetra. A group of 12 or more is suggested for this species.

Another similar shoaling fish that holds its group quite well are the rasbora of the Trigonostigma genus. Harlequin Rasbora, Lambchop Rasbora, Hengels Rasbora. With any of these, at least 9 in the group.

Byron.

I was thinking about harlequin,but I liked the look of the glowlights. They seem nice, I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for helping :-)

spike0544 09-03-2011 01:39 PM

I have had neons in the past, and they seem to have kind of a loose shoaling habit. They stick somewhat together, but they break apart sometimes to explore.

kaythenewbie 09-04-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDcompy (Post 804314)
I had 4 neons and a beta in a tank with other community. The neons would group together and, (no joke) one at a time, side swipe the beta. Then the neon that hit the beta would literally get back in the group and wait his turn to hit again. They bullied my poor beta to death. I don't recall anything like that happening with the glowlights.

I have glowlights. They are very playful. Originally my betta was in the tank with them. He had a major temper and hated them, but they seemed to find it funny. They would all line up behind him (seriously-in a straight line) and follow him until he noticed. He'd chase them away and then they'd start the game again. Stressed him so bad that I had to separate him. Other than that, they're pretty peaceful and playful, but they don't shoal tight unless they're scared.