Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Rescued Bettas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/rescued-bettas-79234/)

Jerhyer 08-27-2011 12:25 PM

Rescued Bettas

2 Attachment(s)
I more or less took these two bettas from a friend of mine. They were together in a communinity tank with some angels, mollies and betas. He's running a cannister filter in his 55 gallon lightly decorated with some fake plabts and drift wood. He didn't know why they were looking so poorly and I imagine its partly stress from the water movement. I couldn't figure out if the other fish were nipping at their fins or not. The only thing I saw was at feeding time the male liked to chase away the female. At anyrate I brought them home and put them in a ten gallon split tank. The first few days they were extremely skitish and didin't seem to be eating. Last night however when I came into the room I put them in they both were waiting at the side and started to eat as soon as I fed them. They look terrible right now but hopefully they will do better. I was told the mail is a crowntail but I really can't tell. Not much experience with bettas.

Jerhyer 08-28-2011 11:29 PM

Well today the Bettas seem much better. I think they notice when I come into the room. They come over to the front where I feed them. They both are eating good and seem to be calm and happy. The poor females fins are so bad its gonna take a while for them to regenerate.
So far so good!

alysalouise 08-29-2011 02:20 AM

Crowntails are my absoult favorite
They are both going to be beautiful once you get them back to health
Good luck :)

Jerhyer 09-01-2011 09:53 AM

Doing great!!

Well the bettas are doing great. I didn't realize the divide wasn't opaque so they can see right through it. They don't seem bothered by each other so that's good. The male has made a bubble nest. Maybe in the future I might see if I can breed them but first I'm gonna network and be sure I have some place for the offspring to go to. Thier fins seem to be regenerating a bit already so I'm pleased that they are going to be just fine!
*Whew*:-D

Jerhyer 10-01-2011 06:01 PM

Update on rescued bettas

1 Attachment(s)
Well it ended up that the female didn't make it, but the male seems to be doing great! Here is a picture of him in his new 1.5 gallon tank. I now have him downstairs in the fish room with the other tanks and he looks happy!
*WHEW*

Romad 10-01-2011 08:44 PM

I'm sorry about the female but am glad that your male is recoving nicely. I'm sure he's much happier now and it's amazing what clean water and some TLC will do for a fish.

Oh and he's a veiltail for sure. Have you named him yet?