im 17
new to the hobby but i am trying to goto college as a marine biologist major
all of my fish are juveniles at the moment
i think its a 30g looking to up grade to a 55 very shortly
there is
4 angel fish
2 cat fish (unknown type)
3 tiger barbs
and 1 place he never comes out of his hiding place so i couldn't get a pic of him

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to TFK :wave:

That sure is one colorful tank :)

Before you upgrade, you should check out the Tropical Fish Profiles at the top of the page, second from left. Your barbs should really be kept in groups of 6 to keep stress and agression down and if you have a common pleco, it will outgrow even your 55 gallon tank - they get really large and are notorious poopers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 ·
thanks for the tips
i have no clue what type of pleco i have it seems to only come out at night when the light is off
right now it is about 3 inches and it is gray with a silver face or head

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to TFK :-D As mentioned tiger barbs need to be kept in larger groups and common plecos get huge :shock:. When you upgrade to your larger tank I would suggest keeping the angels and the tiger barbs in seperate tanks. I am pretty sure I saw damage to the angels from the nipping of the tb. Tiger barbs are notourious for being fin nippers and should not be kept with slower long finned fish.

#5 · (Edited)
wow thanks i noticed that too
i thought maybe the black and white angels fin grew differently

good thing im getting another tank today

and i also just put a lot more pics on the album in my page

also read somewhere that angel fish are racist and only like other angels that are the same color as them

#6 ·
Welcome to TFK and to an addicting hobby! Just be sure not to make the same mistake I did with my first tank. Without any research I bought all different kinds of fish, pretty much anything I thought was cool without any idea of what I was doing.
Good luck to you and can't wait to see how you set up the new tank!

#7 ·
this tank was given to me about 2 months ago seems fine
but it was given to me fully stocked
so i am now trying to separate into tanks hopefully i will have 4 tanks total soon by november or december
1 with all angels maybe a pleco and some cats but thats it
1 for semi-aggressives like chiclids
i am receiving 1 set up already with these spanish ribbed newts idk if i can put fish in with them yet
and 1 tank for all peaceful fish
and yes it is very addicting :]

and i will hopefully be able to study marine biology in college

#8 ·
Hi! Welcome!

Your catfish are peppered (sometimes just called spotted) corydora catfish. I have a bunch of them in my tanks, I love them! They are my favorite of all my fish, super active and peaceful and playful. They are much happier in larger groups though - 2 is a good start, but even if you just got 1 more it would make a HUGE difference.

I agree with Barb, the tigers shouldn't be kept with angel fish. The barbs are semi-aggressive fin-nippers, and the angel fish are definitely aggressive fish. I would separate them as soon as possible.

If your pleco is a juvenile and already 3 inches long, he is going to get huge so be prepared.

You might want to put some plants in there. I prefer live plants, but if those seem like too much trouble fake ones would also make a difference - don't underestimate how much fish like to hide, and their natural habitats are almost always filled with plants.

I assume if you inherited the tank you also inherited test kits, water conditioners, etc? If not, you will want to look into buying those sooner versus later.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Those catfish look nothing like any peppered cories (Corydoras paleatus)
that I have ever had however they do look like pictus cats (Pimelodus pictus) of the spotted variety vs striped. You can tell because of the long barbels on the pictus vs short barbels on the cory.

#9 ·
yes i got all that i am in the process of slowly making the water softer for the angels
right now its pretty high i try not too move any measurements too quickly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.