Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Food "aggression" with angels? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/food-aggression-angels-79074/)

Boredomb 08-25-2011 06:12 PM

Food "aggression" with angels?

My Angels have REALLY turned into lil pigs. Any time you get near the tank they think it is feeding time and are at the top of the tank in a group looking at you. When it is actually feeding time they are right there at the "drop" zone. They will eat it all before it even has a chance to sink. LoL When it comes to bloodworms they will eat them out of the cup it seems. My poor GBRs have learned they only way to get food is come up to the top and get right in the middle of the Angels. Then sometimes they have a hard time getting any. Is this normal behavior for Angelfish? :-?

Boredomb 08-25-2011 06:17 PM

I also meant to ask how many times a day does everyone feed their angelfish?

rrcoolj 08-25-2011 08:07 PM

It's not aggression they are just hungry that is all. Angelfish are not any different than all the other cichlid species. Feed very small ones 2-3x a day and large ones 1-2x a day.

Boredomb 08-25-2011 10:10 PM

I figured it was not aggression just wasn't sure what else to call it. Maybe I will add one more feeding time during the day and see if that will help. Thanks rrcoolj

BarbH 08-25-2011 11:56 PM

My angels do the same thing, and as I walk by the tank they will follow me around. They will even take bloodworms from my fingers. I feed them only once a day and they are doing well and growing. As said a healthy angel is always going to act like they are starving :-D

Boredomb 08-26-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 800189)
As said a healthy angel is always going to act like they are starving :-D

This is want I was thinking but I was not sure with the way they were/are acting. I might go ahead and feed them twice a day and see if it seems to help. Thanks BarbH!

BarbH 08-26-2011 11:12 AM

Not a problem :-D

brokenrules69 08-28-2011 01:32 AM

i feed mine like 3 times a day

Inga 08-28-2011 08:26 AM

I feed mine 2 X a day but mostly because I want to make sure everyone else in the tank gets plenty. I feed a variety of food. What I usually do it drop a few dried bloodworms on the top to keep them busy and then drop some sinking wafers in so that the Cories and rainbow shark have a fighting chance. My Pleco has learned to come to the top and swim upsidedown at the water surface to eat bloodworms and other floating food. He gets right in there with the angels to get his share. It does appear as though the poor darlings are always half starved by the way they eat. I guess it would look that way the way I appreciate food too. ha ha I am NOT starving but sometime, it feels like it. ha ha

brokenrules69 08-28-2011 07:35 PM

yea i feed 3 different types of food in my aquarium but the angels tried eating the other food once but relized they didn't like the other fishys food
since then they haven't tried anything like that

but my angels always look like they r hungry too