Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Be Safe East Coasters! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/safe-east-coasters-79073/)

TexasTanker 08-25-2011 05:01 PM

Be Safe East Coasters!

I know the big iffy THEY has said this storm will likely lose intensity, but what they're forgetting to mention is that this cat 3 slow moving storm is making land fall during the new moon, and in some areas at high tide. That means larger than normal storm surges. I just checked my area and even on the inside of a peninsula we could get up to a 14 foot surge. Check with your city and make sure you are in a safe zone, otherwise be prepared to evacuate. Otherwise, it could be a while sitting on your roof waiting for the Navy and Coast guard to get back from their sorties, and rescue you. Also, do not EVER leave pets at home if you evacuate. It wastes life saving resources getting to them after you've gone.

Beaches 08-25-2011 08:39 PM

We haven't heard much in Aust. about your storm (only a bit about the earthquake), but to all those members in the area, I hope you all remain safe and aren't affected by it too much. Good Luck!!

Romad 08-25-2011 08:43 PM

We're compiling a list of things to do tomorrow just to be ready.

Luckily we purchased a kick-butt generator when we built this house so we should be ok for a while in the worst case scenario. We're not on the water so flooding shouldn't be an issue.

Oh and the fish tanks will chug along just like nothing happened if we lose power for a while.

BarbH 08-26-2011 12:39 PM

This definitly has seemed to be the year for extreme severe weather with all the tornadoes this spring, the intense heat waves hitting most of the country, along with an earthquake on the east coast. For everyone who is in the path of this hurricane, stay safe. Hopefully we will have a milder winter this year.

fishkid 08-26-2011 02:48 PM

I hope the hurricane isn't too bad. But it'd be a wise idea not to change water/top off for the next two weeks or so, as the water companies are going to use extra chemicals after the hurricane to ward off bacteria.

zof 08-26-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 800020)
Luckily we purchased a kick-butt generator when we built this house so we should be ok for a while in the worst case scenario.

Remember a generator is only as good as the last time it was checked to be in running condition ;-)

Good luck to you guys and have fun, I'm kinda strange and like odd weather like that I was in Houston when Rita came over and me and my friends had welcome Rita BBQ just before it started getting bad. Now tornadoes scare the hell out of me though.

willow 08-26-2011 04:23 PM

guys...looking at that storm on the news here tonight..:shock: it's huge.
my thoughts are sincerely with you and your families,and hope you all
will come out of it.
take care. xx

GwenInNM 08-26-2011 05:11 PM

My thoughts also with all of you and your pets. Stay safe! I'm guessing many of you have put plywood on windows?

Gwen

dramaqueen 08-26-2011 06:59 PM

My thoughts are also with those of you on the East Coast. I'm glad to see that many of you are taking precautions and have an evacuation plan. Please stay safe.

Romad 08-27-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 801088)
Remember a generator is only as good as the last time it was checked to be in running condition ;-)

Good luck to you guys and have fun, I'm kinda strange and like odd weather like that I was in Houston when Rita came over and me and my friends had welcome Rita BBQ just before it started getting bad. Now tornadoes scare the hell out of me though.

Our generator goes through an auto. self test and runs each Sat. morning for 1/2 hour but you make a great point for others that might not have this feature and forget to check.