Hey Guys, It's been quite a while. I was on here a while ago asking if anyone had schematics on how to build a vivarium from scratch. Well I finally built mine, and thought I show you/tell you about it! :-D
1/2 plywood ~2sheets
custom cut glass and mounting hardware
paint (high heat paint)
table saw-or get your wood cut at the store
Aproximate total cost ~350ish
glass and mounting hardware~125
plus or minus screws and tools if you need them **and sand/substrate
Price of tank and stand this size (roughly 5 feet by 2feet deep) -MUCH MORE lol
OK so in short form, i'll tell you what I did/how I did it, if anyone wants more info, let me know and I'll add it in.
1. decide on ALL of the measurements for your wood pieces of the tank, right them down and QUADRUPLE check them.
2. go buy some 1/2 inch plywood (i got the store to cut it for me for like 5 bucks, they did all my cuts)
3. buy your screws and some high heat paint and whatever colour of paint you want for the outside.
4. paint all of your wood, front and back BEFORE you assemble the tank.
5. assemble you tank, using screws, and I personally used a bunch of small 1inch metal corner braces all along the bottom of the tank for extra support.
6. mount all your lights/ heat/ electrical inside and hang them/ run your wiring out of your tank.
7 measure the holes for your glass AGAIN. take EXACT measurements and leave SOME play in them, if you are TOO perfect your glass will likely be too tight. You will also need to account for the hardware, i would SUGGEST leaving 1/4" vertically on each pane and leaving and the same horizontally on each pane, that will give you a 1/4 play horizontally (total length) and a 1/8" vertically on each side.
8. mount your glass (with a partner I chipped mine on my own) I also used 5mm, instead of 6mm (not as heavy)
9. fill with substrate and decor, wait to heat up and VOILA!!! A DIY vivarium.
10. Place your beastie in it's new home!!
Here are pictures of it in progress and a Video link of the finished product:
**p.s. This project was a lot of fun, the most tedious part was figuring out the measurements. :-)
nice work,what's going in there ?
My Uromasytx Geyri named Apollo :)
Posted via Mobile Device
you will show pictures of him won't you please ?
A.S.A.P. willow, just super busy. :-)
Video of the newest member of the Backer Farm
Here he is, unfortunately during the move Apollo escaped and we couldn't find him until it was too late... RIP Apollo. So this is the new inhabitant of the vivarium: A Uromastyx Dispar, or Sudanese Uromastyx. He has yet to be named, I'm gonna take some pictures of him and make a post asking for help with names later.
i'm so sorry to hear that. :-(
your new little guy look cute,
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.