Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Lighting question from a newb

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Quantum 
#1 ·
The tank I am getting measures 48" L x 13" W x 20" H

This may be a stupid question but I really do not understand this.

I assume that I need a 48" light to run across my tank. Is this not correct? How can I use a 36" light much les anything smaller then 48" ? Won't the light just fall into the tank?

I also see that some light fixtures have adjustable legs to mount the lights, do all of the light fixtures come with this feature?

Can you point me in the right direction? I am going to get a few plants but they will be easy to care for plants. I also live in Hawaii where sun is abundant and I can just leave my window open to get some sunlight. The lighting would be primarily for at night when I want to look at the fish when I come home from work.

Could you give me some links to some of the better quality lights? I'm looking in the $100-$150 range.

Aloha

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...ipment/lighting-question-76293/#ixzz1W42UfAr3

See less See more
#2 ·

I assume that I need a 48" light to run across my tank. Is this not correct? How can I use a 36" light much les anything smaller then 48" ? Won't the light just fall into the tank?

I also see that some light fixtures have adjustable legs to mount the lights, do all of the light fixtures come with this feature?

Can you point me in the right direction? I am going to get a few plants but they will be easy to care for plants. I also live in Hawaii where sun is abundant and I can just leave my window open to get some sunlight. The lighting would be primarily for at night when I want to look at the fish when I come home from work.

Could you give me some links to some of the better quality lights? I'm looking in the $100-$150 range.

Aloha

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...ipment/lighting-question-76293/#ixzz1W42UfAr3
you could use smaller lights by setting them on the tank cover.

i personally just bought a 48 inch shop light from home depot. it was less than 20$

if you dont need the light for plants or anything you could easily get a glass tank cover and put some smaller lights on top just for viewing purposes.

if you want something with legs and on a stand and all that go to bigals (the website) or ebay or something and search for t8 light fixtures.

i feel liek you can spend as much or as little as you want when it comes to light fixtures

#3 · (Edited)

Aloha

Hello and welcome to TFK :-D For the setup that it sounds like you are going with T8 fixture will be good. You have a couple of choices depending on what you want to do. You can either do a ful hood that will cover the entire length, or you can do a split hood. Also you have the choice of doing a glass hood in which your light fixture will sit on the hood or a plastic hood that has an area for the lights to be able to fit into. With keeping plants in the tank you will want to have the lights on during the day so that they plants get suffecient light from above, usually about 8 to 12 hours depending on the light needs of the plants, and balancing of nutrients. This is another issue in itself, which you can read more about in a four part series that was done by Byron on basicl approach to the natural planted aquarium which can be found in the aquarium plants section. Here is a link that can give you an idea on some pricing and what is available that would work Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Fluorescent Fixtures I have seen the all glass fluorescent full hoods recommended, or you could do one of the single tube fluorescent strips and place it on a glass canopy top. I myself have the marineland fluorescent hood which has worked well with my set up. Also for your lighting I would suggest using a timer it makes it easier and you don't have to worry about how long the lights are on for and if you forget to turn them on or off. Also if you leave to go to work early in the morning you can set the timer to go on later in the morning while you are at work.

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to TFK :-D For the setup that it sounds like you are going with T8 fixture will be good. You have a couple of choices depending on what you want to do. You can either do a ful hood that will cover the entire length, or you can do a split hood. Also you have the choice of doing a glass hood in which your light fixture will sit on the hood or a plastic hood that has an area for the lights to be able to fit into. With keeping plants in the tank you will want to have the lights on during the day so that they plants get suffecient light from above, usually about 8 to 12 hours depending on the light needs of the plants, and balancing of nutrients. This is another issue in itself, which you can read more about in a four part series that was done by Byron on basicl approach to the natural planted aquarium which can be found in the aquarium plants section. Here is a link that can give you an idea on some pricing and what is available that would work Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Fluorescent Fixtures I have seen the all glass fluorescent full hoods recommended, or you could do one of the single tube fluorescent strips and place it on a glass canopy top. I myself have the marineland fluorescent hood which has worked well with my set up. Also for your lighting I would suggest using a timer it makes it easier and you don't have to worry about how long the lights are on for and if you forget to turn them on or off. Also if you leave to go to work early in the morning you can set the timer to go on later in the morning while you are at work.

Dear EncyclopediaBarbh:

+1 great answer!

#7 ·
Most canopies have a spot along most of the back for a HoB filter and a heater. Theres theres a hole where the glass covering for the light goes, then at the front is a flip up lid where you can feed your fish and have some room to get a net or maybe your hand to move decorations. May have to take the whole lid off at least partially to really get into the tank though.

#8 ·
yes, the molded plastic iintegrated hood/canopy has provisions for heater and filter.

The glass lid (also at Foster and Smith, look under hoods and canopies) is hinged and has a plastic strip along the back that can easily be cut to accomodate heater, filter, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.