Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55 gallon tank stocking question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55-gallon-tank-stocking-question-79042/)

Ami 08-25-2011 12:05 PM

55 gallon tank stocking question

Hi,
I have a planted 55 gallon tank. The pH is 7.6 and hardness is 75 ppm. Its got a 55 gallon HOB filter and a 80 gallon sponge filter on it. So far I have the following fishies --

20 neon tetras
8 glowlight tetras
5 otocinclus cats

Yesterday I added 2 honey gourami. I also added 5 harlequin rasboras (this wasn't in my original plan, but man they look so good !).

I was wondering if I can still add 5 cories in a couple of weeks. Or will it be too much for the tank to handle?

Thanks,
Ami

ladayen 08-25-2011 01:56 PM

You're on the upper end but you should be ok to add 5-6 cories. I find that while they are not cleaner fish(there realy isn't such a thing anyhow), they do get food off the substrate rather then letting it rot.. it still comes out the other end though :P

May want to add 3 more harlequins as well, I find they do better in 8+.

Byron 08-25-2011 07:37 PM

I agree on both points. More rasbora (8-9 total is fine for your 55g and better for this species), and corys can be added in a couple days after. You might want more than one species, minimum 3 of a species if there are two or more species is fine, or five of a single species, or 5 each of two species--you have lots of space for up to 20 corys easily. This is a fish that always is better the more there are, same or different species makes no difference.

Ami 08-25-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 799909)
I agree on both points. More rasbora (8-9 total is fine for your 55g and better for this species), and corys can be added in a couple days after. You might want more than one species, minimum 3 of a species if there are two or more species is fine, or five of a single species, or 5 each of two species--you have lots of space for up to 20 corys easily. This is a fish that always is better the more there are, same or different species makes no difference.

Oh sweet ! So the final stocking I am planning is as follows:

20 neon tetras
8 glowlight tetras
9 harlequin rasboras
2 honey gouramis
5 otcinclus catfish
6 corycats

One question about the sunset honey gouramis, I think I got a male and female pair. But I am not sure (the gal at Petsmart couldn't tell and gave me the 2 I pointed to). I'll be borrowing a camera tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have pics posted of the two.

Thanks for everything. I am REALLY enjoying this hobby :-D

LadyDee40 08-27-2011 08:56 PM

my 55 gallon holds

I finally have the room to set up my 55 wide gal. I started with Oscars but it did not work out, so I refreshed the water with a water change and added 4 lamp eye tetra's, 6 red wag platy, 2 Black molly, 4 Dalmatians mollies, 4 red minor tetra's, a clown loach, 8 neon tetra's, and two pleco's, and so far the only one I've lost is the clown loach, but next week I'm going fish shopping.

My dalmatians mollies are getting ready to have babies, and I only put one in a breeding tank to see what happens. I let the other ones just have there babies in the tank, and oh ya I have like 15 ghost shrimp. there cool!

will let you know if I have molly babies.

Byron 08-28-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDee40 (Post 802791)
I finally have the room to set up my 55 wide gal. I started with Oscars but it did not work out, so I refreshed the water with a water change and added 4 lamp eye tetra's, 6 red wag platy, 2 Black molly, 4 Dalmatians mollies, 4 red minor tetra's, a clown loach, 8 neon tetra's, and two pleco's, and so far the only one I've lost is the clown loach, but next week I'm going fish shopping.

My dalmatians mollies are getting ready to have babies, and I only put one in a breeding tank to see what happens. I let the other ones just have there babies in the tank, and oh ya I have like 15 ghost shrimp. there cool!

will let you know if I have molly babies.

I would not replace the clown loach with another. This is a shoaling fish that must be in a group of minimum 5, and as it attains 8-12 inches it needs lots of room. A 55g will not be sufficient for a group. There are several acceptable loach species, many are in our profiles, that attain 4-5 inches max and a group of 5-6 of these would be fine. Profiles are second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. When a fish name is shaded in a post you can click on it to see the profile, example Clown Loach. The data there will explain what I'm talking about.

The red minor tetra is likely the Serpae Tetra, and this fish needs a larger group, 8-12, and even then can be very nippy and feisty. Be careful.

Pleco can vary in size from 4-5 inch species to species almost 2 feet.

Byron.

LadyDee40 08-29-2011 07:57 AM

thank you Byron, for that helpful information. I knew the clown loach was going to grown pretty big, and I thought I would have had the room for it when I got it, and I was going to get at less two. I will check out the loach species in the profiles and see what else I can come up with, that would fit perfect with the rest of my fish. thank you again.

LadyDee40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 803326)
I would not replace the clown loach with another. This is a shoaling fish that must be in a group of minimum 5, and as it attains 8-12 inches it needs lots of room. A 55g will not be sufficient for a group. There are several acceptable loach species, many are in our profiles, that attain 4-5 inches max and a group of 5-6 of these would be fine. Profiles are second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. When a fish name is shaded in a post you can click on it to see the profile, example Clown Loach. The data there will explain what I'm talking about.

The red minor tetra is likely the Serpae Tetra, and this fish needs a larger group, 8-122, and even then can be very nippy and feisty. Be careful.

Pleco can vary in size from 4-5 inch species to species almost 2 feet.

Byron.