Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Krib Biotope (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/krib-biotope-79028/)

Jbrofish8 08-25-2011 10:27 AM

Krib Biotope

Im setting up a 29g tank here shortly and Ive decided that I want to get a pair of Kribs. Ive been trying to sort out in my mind what I want to do as far as plants/other fish goes.

I'm now thinking that I might do a biotope that would be natural for the Kribs..so Niger Delta, correct?

Is there a good site where I can see the species of plants/fish that would be found here?

Or maybe some of you more knowledgeable aquarists out there can help me out with sorting out the species I should add!

patadams66 08-25-2011 10:45 AM

omg these fish are pretty neat. i now want some too!

Jbrofish8 08-25-2011 07:54 PM

Hehe yes they are!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Boredomb 08-25-2011 08:49 PM

well if you know where they are found within the nigerian delta here you go here is a big list of plants

AQUATIC PLANTS AND WETLAND WILDLIFE RESOURCES OF NIGERIA

Christople 08-25-2011 08:52 PM

i would recommend getting P. Taeniatus from niger... it is worth the price

Jbrofish8 08-25-2011 09:50 PM

P. Taeniatus instead of Kribs?

Quantum 08-25-2011 10:37 PM

Looks like Christople is offline, so I'll jump in. I think they meant Pelvicachromis taeniatus instead of Pelvicachromis pulcher (Kribensis or Krib). I've never had either, so I'll let Christople expound on the recommendation.

Also, if you haven't found it already, a link to what looks like some ideas for a general biotope set-up for these species - about half way down "West of Central African River':

African Biotope Aquariums or Central African River

Quantum 08-25-2011 10:55 PM

I just remembered from another thread that you said you had a degree in biology, so you may have known what Christople meant - sorry.

stevenjohn21 08-25-2011 11:11 PM

I asked the same question almost a year ago. One member mentioned a book called "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter W. Scott. I found it on amazon for about $6 inc mailing. The book shows around 10 different biotopes from around the world and also explains which plants and fish would suit which biotope, it also helps you aquascape the whole layout. It was well worth $6 and im reading it again to help me setup my muskippers tank at the moment.

Jbrofish8 08-26-2011 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I knew what he meant quantum but no worries. :P I wasn't sure if he was saying I should have both species or just one. ;)

and stevenjohn I am going to look for that book when I get home from work this afternoon, that sounds like an awesome read!

Edit: actually I just bought it now. ;) should be here tuesday! $3 on amazon too!