Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (
-   -   Filtration with not to strong of a current? (

kmiceray 08-24-2011 10:48 PM

Filtration with not to strong of a current?
Hi again. I have another planted aquarium question. After doing a bunch of research on the type of fish and plants that I want I realize that my HOB filter will not do mainly because I can not get the current/water disturbance to a calmer level. After messing around with foam inserts I still have an issue with it creating to much turbulence on one side of the tank. I'm wondering if I should go to a canister filter. However, I want one that I can adjust I guess how much current it creates. Most tanks I see online the plants bearly move. What are they using to create that still current. I know you need some for nutrient distribution. My goal is to get a nice calm current that suits the fish and plants I want.

So what should I get? Tank size is 50 gallons


patadams66 08-25-2011 07:14 AM

you know i recently bougth a canister filter and i am AMAZED at how little of a current there is

i have a 55g and bought a fluval 305

kmiceray 08-25-2011 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 798872)
you know i recently bougth a canister filter and i am AMAZED at how little of a current there is

i have a 55g and bought a fluval 305

That was the one I was actually looking at. Did the unit offer a lot of different ways you can insert the return live back into the tank? Thanks for the info

patadams66 08-25-2011 10:52 AM

im kind of guessing at your question but

the way it showed to do it was just a return hose over the top of hte aquarium and down back into the tank.

Byron 08-25-2011 10:55 AM

For larger (50g and over) planted tanks, a canister filter rated for the tank size is ideal. Most have a spray bar which diffuses the flow so it can be placed along the end wall of the tank and create a gentle flow down the length of the tank. The filter intake should always be at the opposite end of the tank for best results. You can turn the spray bar toward the tank wall where it is attached for even less direct current, or along the surface of down the wall, depending upon the effect you want. You can also remove the spray bar and use just the spigot which will create a more forceful current from one spot; this is useful in large tanks if you need some current at one end for certain fish species. I have this arrangement in my 115g.

I have experience with Eheim and Rena XP canisters, and both are good filters. Fluval is similar in design. Eheim are more costly, but they have a proven track record of reliability and durability than the other two do not (yet, they are newer on the market). My Eheim on the 90g has been running now for 14 years non-stop, and I have never had a problem. That is reliability. I'm not saying Rena and Fluval are not similar, they may be, but most who know these suggest they will not likely last that long without issues along the way. My Rena XP3 on the 115g has been running for just over 2 years.


kmiceray 08-25-2011 11:00 AM

Thanks a bunch to the both of you two! That is exactly what I was wanting to know. Nice to see there are attachments that gives you control of the flow of water on the output side.

Thanks for the brand recommendations based off your experience Byron. I will read more into the different brands out there.

Thanks again

redchigh 08-26-2011 03:20 PM

I use HOB filters (mostly because I can't afford a canister), but my duckweed clogs up the intake and drastically reduces water flow. Works for me. (But a canister is still much better)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome