Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   who is eating my Kribensis fry? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/who-eating-my-kribensis-fry-78932/)

curiousburke 08-24-2011 11:31 AM

who is eating my Kribensis fry?

I had somewhere between 50 and 100 last week, but now I only have a dozen. The mother is very aggressive toward most of the other fish in the tank such that they can't get near her ... except the father. Aside from the krib pair, this is what I have in the tank:

gold barbs
long fin rosy barbs
Siamese algae eaters
Corydoras Trilineatus
otocinclus
giant danios

who do you think the muncher is?

thanks,
Mark

rrcoolj 08-24-2011 08:50 PM

Could be any of them. Depending on the size of the tank the kribs might have a hard time defending the fry 24/7. You were bound to loose some with those fast moving fish. The cory proly got to them at night.

zof 08-24-2011 08:53 PM

The answer is any fish with a mouth bigger then the fry, community tanks are rarely optimal for fry even if the parents are protective.

curiousburke 08-24-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 798335)
Could be any of them. Depending on the size of the tank the kribs might have a hard time defending the fry 24/7. You were bound to loose some with those fast moving fish. The cory proly got to them at night.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a night attack. The mother rounds them up at night safe in the cave. The entrance is just large enough for one fish and she sits in it. I really wish I could have seen who did it.

rrcoolj 08-25-2011 06:02 AM

You would be surprised catfish can see much better at night than a lot of cichlids so it would be easy for a wandering cory to take just a few. That is why it is not recommended to keep catfish or plecos in a breeding tank. Plecos will eat the eggs at night from even the most vicious cichlids.

Christople 08-25-2011 12:00 PM

I have then same problem, my kris will have around 20 eggs/fry, now I only have one thats big enough to be alive even with out the parents but they still loosely guard it.

curiousburke 08-25-2011 01:56 PM

my guess is that it was the dad. The first day I saw the horde it seemed huge (~100). The next day it seemed smaller (~50). I removed the male and the number stayed at ~50, but then I read that males would be helpful after a few days and he wanted to desperately to get back into that tank that he was exhausting himself trying, so I added him back. Two days later I had only 15 fry. That number has now stabilized, and I suspect it is because they are a little bigger now.

Christople 08-25-2011 02:29 PM

could be, how many spawns have they had

curiousburke 08-25-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 799406)
could be, how many spawns have they had

first one

Christople 08-25-2011 02:52 PM

yeah the pair will take a few spawns to get it right the first time, mine did, pretty much every ones do