Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   interesting cory behavior (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/interesting-cory-behavior-78929/)

beetlebz 08-24-2011 10:38 AM

interesting cory behavior

Just commenting on a curious observation....

-brace yourselves, heres the back story lol -

I have a 10g tank with some driftwood and java moss/fern that I keep 6 albino cories (not sure of the type) in. Welp, I added a flying fox (to grow out, no omg that fish cant live in a 10g!! posts please ;) ) and a tetra 10i filter to, in the hopes it will clean up a little bit. It worked!! the filters helped move all the sediment from the plant substrate stuff, and the fox did a JOB cleaning all the diatoms up.

now, the cories lay eggs about once a month, but because it only had an air powered box filter, they got gunky and in the 4 or 5 layings, had only 1 fry emerge. cute little scooter too :)

within 1 day of adding the filter and fox, and having a shiny clean new tank, the cories started going NUTS. At first I thought the fox was causing havoc and unrest in the tank, but then around 9 last night, eggs!! and lots of eggs! and more eggs!! We actually got to sit there last night and watch them dance, and put some eggs on the wall, then dance some more. it was wild!

my curious observation is, ALL 6 cories plus the fry were going nuts. not just one or two of them. Ive never watched cories lay eggs before, so I thought it was really bizarre that it was a family function. This morning, they were their usual listless selves.

just thought id mention it :)

GwenInNM 08-25-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 797659)
Just commenting on a curious observation....

-brace yourselves, heres the back story lol -

I have a 10g tank with some driftwood and java moss/fern that I keep 6 albino cories (not sure of the type) in. Welp, I added a flying fox (to grow out, no omg that fish cant live in a 10g!! posts please ;) ) and a tetra 10i filter to, in the hopes it will clean up a little bit. It worked!! the filters helped move all the sediment from the plant substrate stuff, and the fox did a JOB cleaning all the diatoms up.

now, the cories lay eggs about once a month, but because it only had an air powered box filter, they got gunky and in the 4 or 5 layings, had only 1 fry emerge. cute little scooter too :)

within 1 day of adding the filter and fox, and having a shiny clean new tank, the cories started going NUTS. At first I thought the fox was causing havoc and unrest in the tank, but then around 9 last night, eggs!! and lots of eggs! and more eggs!! We actually got to sit there last night and watch them dance, and put some eggs on the wall, then dance some more. it was wild!

my curious observation is, ALL 6 cories plus the fry were going nuts. not just one or two of them. Ive never watched cories lay eggs before, so I thought it was really bizarre that it was a family function. This morning, they were their usual listless selves.

just thought id mention it :)

Lucky you! Sounds like happy fish. You must be doing a lot right! Congrats

Gwen

jeaninel 08-26-2011 01:17 AM

Congrats on your cory eggs, BB! I've heard that with cories quite often multiple males will spawn with a female.

Sounds like they partied pretty hard last night and were sleeping it off this morning. LOL

beetlebz 08-26-2011 10:49 AM

LOL Jeaninel, good thing my poor mother didnt witness the debauchery!