Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   My Metae Cory looks like it is bleeding or has an open sore? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/my-metae-cory-looks-like-bleeding-78858/)

low05011487 08-23-2011 03:02 PM

My Metae Cory looks like it is bleeding or has an open sore?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all :-)

Today I bought 3 metae corydoras catfish and 1 lone panda cory (I took pity on), to go with the 5 panda corydoras I currently have. I moved them all today into a new 40 gallon long tank that had finished its cycle in 17 days (had moved filter over from other tank, used nurtafin cycle and pebbles and tank decorations from the 15 and 20 gal i already had set up).

I use liquid tests and the Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate this morning was 10 so I did a 30% water change before setting off to the store and a vaccumm gravel as I have 4 platys in there and 6 diamond neons, which had been there for 3 days, one platy bought from the store 3 days ago. The temp of the tank is set at 25c with a fluval U4 internal filter.

It is a planted tank with live plants (Rotala Indica, Riccia, Dwarf hairgrass, wallichi, Micranthemum Umberosum, Hygrophilia Salicifolia and ludwigia repens and has a soft sand substrate with small pre soaked driftwood peieces and a large piece of dragon stone (with riccia on). I have been adding CO2 and water column Ferrous Iron, Potassium and trace elements.

I acclimatized the new metae into the tank and in general seem to be doing fine and love playing in the sand. Just under an hour ago I noticed one of the new metae has a pinkish, what appears to be an open wound (or bleeding) just behind its gills near its pectoral fin. I have included photos the best that I could get as its moving around and swimming up and down quite happily in the flow of the filters airbubble stream. Because it is new today I cannot see it as being an issue with the new tank.

Is it possible that It was like that at the store and I didnt notice it, or perhaps injured itself in the tank. What should I do? In my cupboard I have melafix and aquarium doctor anti fungus treatment.

Any help would be appreciated to help him, I do not want to return him to the store and want to rectify this myself, as would feel guilty sending him back. :cry:

Many thanks in advance

Attachment 35263

Attachment 35264

Attachment 35265

BarbH 08-24-2011 12:13 AM

If you have a hospital tank or quarantine tank that you can move him into I would suggest doing so. You will want to make sure that you keep the water really clean doing daily water changes. I can't tell if the wound looks infected or not, but if it does you can treat with possibly with maracyn or maracyn II. Before using any type of treatment you want to make sure that it is safe for scaleless fish like corys, some medications have you use half the dosage with scaleless fish. The most important thing is keeping the fish in clean water while he heals.

Romad 08-24-2011 05:35 AM

I agree with BarbH. Set up a hospital tank and keep the water pristine with daily water changes. Good luck.

Oh and your corys are cute :)

low05011487 08-24-2011 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys :-) I set up the hospital tank as I have an empty 20 gallon but I am damned if I can catch this cory with my net, he might have a wound but he is like lightening. In order to not stress him out I left him where he was (although I know thats a risk in itself) :( I treated with half dosage of melafix last night and the wound looked alot better this morning, just a speck of pinky red, and again just now i treated with the melafix. But there are now two other problems :cry: all 3 of my bandit corys are now sick :cry: The rest of my fish are fine and my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all zero, i did a 20% partial water change today and I vaccummed the top of the sand (I do this everyday).

One of the other bandits has terrible fin rot on the dorsal fin or looks like he has been nibbled at- it looks exactly the same as the panda that died 3 weeks ago- yet this is in a different tank, they have been here less than 2 days and my other pandas are fine.

This bandit also has what appears to be a hole on the side wheres its gills are- kind of like a pock mark if you were to remove a lump, although the other side is fine and the other bandit is also showing fin rot on its tail fin.

It could be good news that they were all eating this morning and swimming about, besides the one with the hole which isnt doing a whole lot.

The melafix says it treats fin rot and open wounds, is this good enough?

I feel like this is a bad nightmare and its making me extremely paranoid about my other fish, it just makes me want to give up. I personally want to kill the store for selling me a bad batch of fish :-( and I will not be using them again.

If its for the best I will persevere in trying to catch them but this tank is also very high as long which makes it awkward to catch them.

Jbrofish8 08-24-2011 02:05 PM

Im not 100% sure but I've heard that catfish are very sensitive to medications. Maybe this is what is going on. :(