Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocked 55G, comments (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocked-55g-comments-7884/)

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:06 PM

Stocked 55G, comments

Hey everyone,

I just finished stocking my 55G for the school year (or so I believe I did). I have 5 gouramis, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 angelica botia loach, and 1 BGK (4 inches). The tank has both live and fake plants plus lots of cover across the bottom. White/brown gravel substrate. I wish I could post pics but my camera broke :(. Thanks!

Lupin 08-27-2007 09:07 PM

What gouramis are those? Add more angelicus loach. Always keep 3 as the minimum. 5 is even better.

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:09 PM

Fastest reply in history goes to you Lupin :) I have a mixture of gouramis. 2 dwarf, 1 gold, 1 opaline, 1 pink. Ill grab more loaches, should they all be the same?

Lupin 08-27-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Fastest reply in history goes to you Lupin :) I have a mixture of gouramis. 2 dwarf, 1 gold, 1 opaline, 1 pink. Ill grab more loaches, should they all be the same?

Pink gourami? Isn't that a kissing gourami?:shock: That would be too big for a 55. I'd personally get rid of it. The rest are okay.

It's your choice if you want them to be the same but I prefer to buy 4 more angelicus loaches.;) Yoyos are also excellent and quite hardy.

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:15 PM

the kissing gourami will get too big? That's news to me!

The only reason I asked about the angelic loach was because they are 10$ each. Not that it's a huge deal but buying 4 more would be a little expensive.

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:17 PM

The sad (or maybe funny thing depending on how you look at it) thing is that my girlfriend wanted me to get the kissing gourami for her :P

Lupin 08-27-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

the kissing gourami will get too big? That's news to me!

10-12 inches.:(
Quote:

The only reason I asked about the angelic loach was because they are 10$ each. Not that it's a huge deal but buying 4 more would be a little expensive.
If there are yoyos, then that would be excellent. They may not look the same but the least you can provide it is some company.

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:22 PM

I get all of my fish at petsmart. I'm not sure if you have any experience with them but do they take fish back? He/she is in perfect health.

Lupin 08-27-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

I get all of my fish at petsmart. I'm not sure if you have any experience with them but do they take fish back? He/she is in perfect health.

I don't live in US, Hyperlite.;) You could ask PetSmart regarding their return/refund policy.

Hyperlite 08-27-2007 09:31 PM

You can call me Adam, if you don't mind. Ok, I would hate to hold such a large fish in a small tank, I think it will be better to return him (hope my girlfriend doesn't get too mad :P)