Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filtration - Too much? Too little? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filtration-too-much-too-little-78818/)

jeepboy91 08-22-2011 10:44 PM

Filtration - Too much? Too little?

Hi,

I have a 55G aquarium with about 33"-worth of fish, of which 6 fish are larger and make a lot of waste. My current bio-wheel filters run 350+170= 520gph. I also have 2 powerheads on an under gravel filter. Is this too much? Is there such a thing as too much filtration? It's close to 10X turnover per hour.

In this tank, there's a lot of water movement and bubbles from the powerheads, which I'd like to cut down on. Will I get enough Oxygen in the water from just the air contact in the bio-wheels if I remove the air entrainment hoses?

Thanks!

ladayen 08-22-2011 11:11 PM

Would need to know what fish are in the tank before saying if you have too much filtration. It is possible to have too much filtration. Bacteria need a chance to consume the ammonia and nitrites. If the water is blowing it past them too fast it will just build up.

beetlebz 08-23-2011 08:47 AM

x2, need to know how messy the big guys are. As a rule though as long as the tank isnt deep (which standard 55g's are not) I wouldnt worry about not having enough oxygen. I have an overstocked 55 with just 2 HOBs that put out about what yours do and I havnt had any issues since that tank cycled.

jeepboy91 08-23-2011 05:27 PM

I have 6 sunfish varying in length from 3-5", and 7 other little fish. The tank has been running for about a month now, cycled before the sunfish went in 3 days ago. I'm planning on doing weekly 50% changes until everything settles down, and then adjust accordingly.

Thank you both.

AbbeysDad 08-24-2011 02:49 PM

You have bought into the false myth that filtration is relative to water flow through a filter - this couldn't be further from the truth! Pushing large volumes of water through filter media does not make filtration better. What makes filtration better is moving water more slowly through finer filtration media.
Likewise with power heads on the UGF. You really do want water flow across bio-media (in this case the gravel) to be slow. Moving it more quickly does nothing other than quickly pull uneaten food and detritus deep within the gravel where it will decay and foul the water more quickly.
Sometimes my friend, less is more.

brokenrules69 08-27-2011 08:41 AM

i dont know too much about the filtration thing
i have a power filter 50 in my 30 gallon tank

but i am pretty sure that too much water agitation can cause much stress on the fish which can lead to death
but u would need to look up ur specific fish

and pictures always help

brokenrules69 08-27-2011 09:04 AM

aqua clear 50 sorry