Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   One time, I saw this Guppy... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/one-time-i-saw-guppy-78777/)

OddballFishCoveter 08-22-2011 03:33 PM

One time, I saw this Guppy...

..and it was at least 5 inches long!

It was featured a year or so ago in a chain-pet store local to my area, called Pet Supplies Plus. I usually browse the aquariums, and then I was like O.O

It was in the same tank as the other Fancy Guppies... but he was seriously that big! At first I doubted he was actually a guppy, as I've never seen or heard of one getting that large, but he had the same relative body shape. I wanted to bring him home with me, but all my tanks were pretty much at their capacity.

To give a rough idea, I've drawn this diagram of what I remember of him:

http://i55.tinypic.com/i437e8.png

I've browsed some of the web trying to find what kind of Guppy this guy was... so far I've only come across Fancy Guppy articles on their many different patterns and colors, not any notable differences within their different species.

martian123 08-22-2011 04:19 PM

what state do you live in

OddballFishCoveter 08-22-2011 04:36 PM

I live in Ohio, the Buckeye state! :D

Pisces47 08-22-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddballFishCoveter (Post 794949)
..and it was at least 5 inches long!

It was featured a year or so ago in a chain-pet store local to my area, called Pet Supplies Plus. I usually browse the aquariums, and then I was like O.O

It was in the same tank as the other Fancy Guppies... but he was seriously that big! At first I doubted he was actually a guppy, as I've never seen or heard of one getting that large, but he had the same relative body shape. I wanted to bring him home with me, but all my tanks were pretty much at their capacity.

To give a rough idea, I've drawn this diagram of what I remember of him:

http://i55.tinypic.com/i437e8.png

I've browsed some of the web trying to find what kind of Guppy this guy was... so far I've only come across Fancy Guppy articles on their many different patterns and colors, not any notable differences within their different species.

Yeah, right!
Don't worry about what State he lives in, it's just what state he was in.

martian123 08-22-2011 06:51 PM

i only wwanted to know rthe state he lived in because he mentioned that pet supplies plus was a local pet chain i live in RI and the is a pet supplies plus

patadams66 08-22-2011 07:02 PM

lets hear it for Ohio!

OddballFishCoveter 08-22-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martian123 (Post 795188)
i only wwanted to know rthe state he lived in because he mentioned that pet supplies plus was a local pet chain i live in RI and the is a pet supplies plus

Oh, so Pet Supplies Plus isn't only in Ohio! I was beginning to think that because I haven't heard anyone going there for fish outside of my state... apparently though it isn't only around here. It's nice having two different chains right around where I live (Pet Supplies Plus and Petsmart, we used to have a Petco too but it was closed down), so I can bargain shop to save a few bucks. :D

And also (pertaining to the Guppy) I swear, I speak truth!

I almost wish I hadn't let the opportunity to buy him slip away, I haven't seen a fish like him since he was bought by someone else. It's possible he may have not been a Guppy, but I'm fairly sure he was. Unless, he was like one of those 'Muppy' Guppy and Molly hybrids, that is if they get that large.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 795201)
lets hear it for Ohio!

And hello my fellow Ohioan! :D

BarbH 08-22-2011 07:31 PM

We have Pet Supplies Plus here in Michigan also, along with Pet Provisions here in town. The next town over we have a Pet Smart, the nearest Pecto is an hour away. It could have been a Molly, female mollys can get rather large and I have seen some stores that will combine different types of fish into one display tank.

Pisces47 08-22-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddballFishCoveter (Post 795206)
Oh, so Pet Supplies Plus isn't only in Ohio! I was beginning to think that because I haven't heard anyone going there for fish outside of my state... apparently though it isn't only around here. It's nice having two different chains right around where I live (Pet Supplies Plus and Petsmart, we used to have a Petco too but it was closed down), so I can bargain shop to save a few bucks. :D

And also (pertaining to the Guppy) I swear, I speak truth!

I almost wish I hadn't let the opportunity to buy him slip away, I haven't seen a fish like him since he was bought by someone else. It's possible he may have not been a Guppy, but I'm fairly sure he was. Unless, he was like one of those 'Muppy' Guppy and Molly hybrids, that is if they get that large.

And hello my fellow Ohioan! :D

:D,

I'm sure you speak the truth about the guppy, ya gotta laugh though, it sounds like the one that got away, always enormous.

We don't have the same stores down here in Aus., our biggest chain is Petbarn.

Beaches 08-23-2011 08:34 AM

Well I believe you OddballFishCoveter :-) as I have seen a similar sized guppies!

I'm from Aust. too and as Pisces47 mentioned, PetBarn is our major pet supply chain here, we also have PetStock (another chain) in my area and this was where I saw them. They were just your normal garden variety guppy and from head to tail were 4 inches long (there were 3 of them, all females). I asked if they were for sale, but the assistant said they belonged to the owner and were just for display purposes, he also said they were around 3 yrs of age and living out their final days/months in that tank.