Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Which ones to rehome... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/ones-rehome-78752/)

Calmwaters 08-22-2011 09:34 AM

Which ones to rehome...

I have really wanted Angels for a long time and after doing tons of research on them have decided to redo the stock in my 55 gallon in order to have them but I need some help decideing which ones have to go. I know the blue neons may not be safe but I am not sure about the black neons as they are bigger than the blues. Here is my current stock I could move some into my 44 which has extra room. I am thinking I should move the Gourami, and the barbs into the 44 then the blue neons to my 20 long but I would like some other opinions.

1 Honey Sunset Gourami
3 Corydorus Duplicaerus
4 Albino Corydorus
3 Golden Barb
6 Neon Tetras
8 Black Neon Tetra
6 Harliquin Rasbora

the 44 gallon has only:
4 Tiger Barb
4 Serpia tetra
1 Common Pleco

martian123 08-22-2011 10:54 AM

move the neon tetras, the black neon tetras and the rasboras to a different tank with non- aggressive fish and then put your angels in. if you still need more room then move the gourami because it is not a good idea to have him in with the angels because of the fins they could bite. but any little fish or fish with long fins need to be moved because angels of very mean since they are part of the cichlid family

Byron 08-22-2011 11:40 AM

Ideally speaking, I would remove the barb (too active), neon and black neon (slender fish are more likely to be eaten by mature angels), and the gourami (too similar, both species are territorial and aggressive). However, the 44g is already stocked to capacity with the two aggressive fish, and I would never subject neon, black neon or gourami to a group of either Tigers or Serpae, never. The fish will be stressed with just being in the vicinity.

Adding a group of 5 small angels to the existing 55g is preferable. As the angels grow, they may not bother the others, or they may; but the chances are more in favour of them not if they are small and added to the existing environment. The alternative (moving the others in with the TB and Serpae) is the worst scenario and I would never do that no matter what. I would get rid of the TB and Serpae rather than doing anything like this.

Byron.

Calmwaters 08-22-2011 02:13 PM

Thanks Byron The aggression is something I was worried about with adding them to the 44 so I will not got that route. What if I move the neons (both kind) and the barbs to a 20 gallon long I have move the blue rams that are in there to the 55 with small Angels? If I did this would it be ok to add two more golden barbs to the 20? The gourami I could rehome if that would be best. Or like you said I could just add 5 small angels to 55 as it is and if problems occur down the road just set up more tanks. LOL

Byron 08-22-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 794811)
Thanks Byron The aggression is something I was worried about with adding them to the 44 so I will not got that route. What if I move the neons (both kind) and the barbs to a 20 gallon long I have move the blue rams that are in there to the 55 with small Angels? If I did this would it be ok to add two more golden barbs to the 20? The gourami I could rehome if that would be best. Or like you said I could just add 5 small angels to 55 as it is and if problems occur down the road just set up more tanks. LOL

I must always be honest, even if others don't like hearing what I suggest, so no hard feelings I hope.;-)

The Golden Barb need 8 in a 48-inch tank. They may fin nip sedate fish. A larger group in more space reduces this within the species. So I consider they are best suited to the 55g but with more of them. And obviously no angels. The tetra can remain with them though I would not deliberately set that up, the barb are active.

The neons (both) would be fine in a 20g long. The ram needs more warmth than the neon tetra can handle, too bad, as a pair otherwise would be fine in there. Moving the rams means raising the 55g temp, which the angels can tolerate (assuming they are not wild stock that need higher temp) but I do not like to keep fish at the higher end of their range unless necessary. It raises their metabolism and burns them out faster, requiring more oxygen, feeding issues, etc. Think how you feel on a hot day, and that is much the same, except we are subjecting them to it permanently.

Your problems would be solved if you could either get more tanks:-) or lose some fish:-(. You also have in my view issues looming in the 40g with too small a group of both the TB and Serpae, and I would be very surprised if something does not develop in time.

Byron.

Calmwaters 08-22-2011 08:13 PM

I would love more tanks but with my back injury its all I can do to keep up with the ones I have. I even had to pass up on a good deal on a complete 65 gallon.
Ok so I rehome the rams, the barbs and the gourami then in the 55 I could have the angels. I am not sure if the fish with the barbs are serpae I will have to post a pic if I can find one if so how many more could I add of each so far they have been together for about 5 months and no problems so far but I know that could change the tank looks really empty right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 08-22-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 795300)
I would love more tanks but with my back injury its all I can do to keep up with the ones I have. I even had to pass up on a good deal on a complete 65 gallon.
Ok so I rehome the rams, the barbs and the gourami then in the 55 I could have the angels. I am not sure if the fish with the barbs are serpae I will have to post a pic if I can find one if so how many more could I add of each so far they have been together for about 5 months and no problems so far but I know that could change the tank looks really empty right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

The TB should be at 8, no issue there in a 40+. If the others are Serpae, the two species being so similar in aggression may be keeping each other in check.:-) Let's confirm the species, check the photos in the profile.

Calmwaters 08-22-2011 08:37 PM

Ok I looked in the profile and what I have I think are Black Phantom Tetra not serpae.
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...NewFish011.jpg

BarbH 08-22-2011 09:19 PM

Looks like black phantom tetras to me, in the profile it says that they can be kept with angels.

Byron 08-23-2011 09:25 AM

Those are Serpae Tetra, not much doubt. They do bear a resemblance to female Black Phantom, but remember that all 30+ species in the Rosy clade have certain features in common as noted in the profiles. I never bet on things:-) but if I did I would bet your fish are Serpae. The ragged dorsal fins are one clue.