Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How does this list sound for my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-does-list-sound-my-tank-7870/)

jkastner19 08-27-2007 10:01 AM

How does this list sound for my tank?

30 gallon planted.

I think as my signature fish:

Dwarf Gourami (although some places say they should be in groups of 3? I am not sure I have a big enough tank for 3?)

Some Danios, leopard or zebra? (Can a full school of 6 fit?)

For cleanup, I wanted to get amano shrimp or maybe ghost for being cheaper? Is one smaller than other? Otherwise, maybe some corys but not sure if there is room for a full group of 6 of them? If not that, then a small breed pleco?

Any thoughts, ideas, changes to the plan that people recommend?

Thanks,
Jason

jsm11482 08-27-2007 10:08 AM

Not sure about the Gouramis. But you can have a large school of danios or two schools (leopard/zebra) maybe 12-15 total. Amanos and ghosts are fine, amanos seem to be slightly larger than the ghosts. You could also get a school of 5-6 cories.

jkastner19 08-27-2007 10:24 AM

That sounds good. I wasn't sure about the gourami or not. I realize I am limited by my small tank size.

Maybe I just felt like every tank I look at seems to have one bigger fish as sort of a focal point of tank. Maybe with my size I will just have to not go that route.

Falina 08-27-2007 10:27 AM

I would say you are fine to add a dwarf gourami with those fish in that tank. Sounds like an alright list to me. :)

jsm11482 08-27-2007 10:34 AM

What's nice about the danios is you can get them NOW to cycle the tank. And they are fun fish so you can keep them in a large school right from the beginning. Otherwise you would have to wait a month before getting any fish. If you do get the danios before your tank is cycled, then make sure you watch the parameters and do plenty of water changes. Read up on cycling with fish if you haven't already.

jkastner19 08-27-2007 10:43 AM

Yeah, I already started the fishless cycling with just my plants right now. Not sure any fish would enjoy my current 4 ppm of ammonia right now :shock:

jsm11482 08-27-2007 10:50 AM

Yup, sounds like you know what you're doing then - good job.

Falina 08-27-2007 11:22 AM

I second the vote for fishless cycle. Good choice! :)

jkastner19 08-27-2007 11:57 AM

I am normally a very impulsive and impatient person. Perhaps this experience and my journey into this new hobby will teach me some nice lessons in patience for life too. Hehe. The wait is killing me already and its only Day 6.

Falina 08-27-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkastner19
I am normally a very impulsive and impatient person. Perhaps this experience and my journey into this new hobby will teach me some nice lessons in patience for life too. Hehe. The wait is killing me already and its only Day 6.

It'll be worth it! Don't rush it whatever you do, that's the worst thing you can do. You're doing well so far! :D