Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   snail population, EXPLODED , NEED HELP (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-population-exploded-need-help-78684/)

fryup 08-21-2011 04:58 PM

snail population, EXPLODED , NEED HELP

How do I get rid completely , I think there trumpet snail and the "adults" are bout 2 inch long , there everywere , can any1 help ?? :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

ladayen 08-21-2011 09:24 PM

Generally if snails are taking over your tank it's because theres a surplus of food for them. Cut back on how much you are feeding your fish.

Assassin snails can be a longer term solution. They only lay one egg a month and will eat other snails. You will probably have to buy more snails to continue feeding them eventually or find someone else with a snail infested tank. Will still have to manually remove the empy snail shells however.

You can throw in a piece of cucumber and snails should pile on top of it within 30 min. Just pick up the piece of cucumber and throw it out then. Manually picking out the snails is a slow but sure method. You can use a combination of these methods as well.

Some people will just take out the fish in the tank, toss everything else inside it and then fill it with a bleach water solution. With a little scrubbing it will completly start your tank over like new.(well it should some people have reported snails or eggs lived through even this.) Then just rinse your tank out well and let it dry completly before putting water back inside it.

Keep in mind snails aren't bad and will clean up stuff nothing else will. As I mentioned earlier they are eating something to keep alive. Without addressing that issue your tank will get icky if your rapidly remove the snails.

InvertPlanet 08-22-2011 07:43 AM

+1 ladayen

Depending on what is in the tank.. you could try a copper treatment. It is deadly for inverts.

ladayen 08-22-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertPlanet (Post 794189)
+1 ladayen

Depending on what is in the tank.. you could try a copper treatment. It is deadly for inverts.

This would work, but the copper can last a very very long time and if you ever plan to have invertrabrates again such as shrimp or crabs or other snails it will kill them as well. Also you'd still have to pull the snails out maunally to avoid a massive ammonia spike.

brownmane 08-22-2011 05:43 PM

Another, not for the squeamish, bonus to extra snails is that you can always squish them and feed them to your fish:sick: My fish love them.

k19smith 08-22-2011 08:40 PM

You could also always sell them or give them away, I myself love my snails.

BlueramFan 08-22-2011 09:19 PM

I have been using dwarf puffers and they have brought my snail population down to almose nil.. They actively hunt them. Just a suggestion

demonr6 08-22-2011 09:21 PM

Don't dwarf puffers act aggressively towards other fish though?

BlueramFan 08-22-2011 09:36 PM

Most of my fish are either bigger than them or tooo fast and I have Two mated Veil Angels, two blue rams, two orange platies, one otto, four cories and one red striped shark. Everyone seems to get along but as it has been pointed out all fish have their own personalities so what I ded was just get one at first an see how all get along.

demonr6 08-23-2011 07:30 AM

I have a betta with a rather pissy attitude who chased all the shrimp from the tank.. they preferred leaping to their deaths rather than stay in the tank with him. He routinely harasses the snails although my apple snail is almost the size of my fist so it does not care, he still flares at it. Tough guy.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueramFan (Post 795399)
Most of my fish are either bigger than them or tooo fast and I have Two mated Veil Angels, two blue rams, two orange platies, one otto, four cories and one red striped shark. Everyone seems to get along but as it has been pointed out all fish have their own personalities so what I ded was just get one at first an see how all get along.