Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   40g breeder filter help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/40g-breeder-filter-help-78676/)

Qcdan 08-21-2011 03:40 PM

40g breeder filter help

Hey guys,

I just got a new 40g which I want to setup for african cichlids. I am not a big fan of drilled tanks (none of my 2 other tanks are) so I was wondering which kind of filter would be best for this setup, since its my first time with cichlids. I was thinking maybe 2 filter, 1 would be an internal filter, and the other probably the Emperor bio-wheel. (280 or 400?). I am gonna add a good powerhead aswell.

Id like some suggestions before I start setting it up

Thanks !

1077 08-22-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qcdan (Post 793174)
Hey guys,

I just got a new 40g which I want to setup for african cichlids. I am not a big fan of drilled tanks (none of my 2 other tanks are) so I was wondering which kind of filter would be best for this setup, since its my first time with cichlids. I was thinking maybe 2 filter, 1 would be an internal filter, and the other probably the Emperor bio-wheel. (280 or 400?). I am gonna add a good powerhead aswell.

Id like some suggestions before I start setting it up

Thanks !

I would look at the Aquaclear 110 or Emperor 400 for this tank.
Of the two,,I would lean towards the Aquaclear simply cause it's easier to service and a bit quieter.
Have used Emperor filter's for years as well, and they too are excellent filter's but a bit more tedious to service and filter media choices are a bit more limited .

Qcdan 08-22-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 794047)
I would look at the Aquaclear 110 or Emperor 400 for this tank.
Of the two,,I would lean towards the Aquaclear simply cause it's easier to service and a bit quieter.
Have used Emperor filter's for years as well, and they too are excellent filter's but a bit more tedious to service and filter media choices are a bit more limited .

The aquaclear seems great. What about one of these and an internal filter too? Is there anything wrong with the internal filters? I like the look and they seem to work great too. Or id be better with 2 aquaclear?!
As for lighting is the nova extreme 2x54w T5 10,000k is a good option?
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 08-22-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qcdan (Post 794152)
The aquaclear seems great. What about one of these and an internal filter too? Is there anything wrong with the internal filters? I like the look and they seem to work great too. Or id be better with 2 aquaclear?!
As for lighting is the nova extreme 2x54w T5 10,000k is a good option
Posted via Mobile Device

One aquaclear 110 in 40 gallon tank with cichlids should be plenty.
I use one aquaclear 110 on 55 gal tank holding six plecos and it keeps the water clean enough between water changes.
Can always add another if you think you need it, but I don't believe you will find it necessary.
I have used the Nova Extreme fixture and it worked fine but did not care for the fan that's integrated into the fixture.Just didn't care for the noise the fan made.

Qcdan 08-22-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 794230)
One aquaclear 110 in 40 gallon tank with cichlids should be plenty.
I use one aquaclear 110 on 55 gal tank holding six plecos and it keeps the water clean enough between water changes.
Can always add another if you think you need it, but I don't believe you will find it necessary.
I have used the Nova Extreme fixture and it worked fine but did
not care for the fan that's integrated into the fixture.Just didn't care for the noise the fan made.

Cool sounds like im on the right path to get my cichlids. One more question. How should i setup my substrate, i was thinking aragonite in mesh bags under some kind of gravel but if i can put a mix of aragonite and crushed corals without mesh bags id rather do that, but i heard it might hurt the fishs...and i really need to add something that will keep my ph up since my water ph is low already, and i rather stay far from ph buffers.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 08-22-2011 09:00 AM

+1 on AquaClear filters as I'm a fan and have two AC70's (throttle low) on my 60g. The AC filters are cool as positioning the inlet tube for reduced flow cause re-filtration of water in the filter. I am using Fluval sponge pre-filters on the inlet tubes and simple water bottle baffles (directions in this forum) to disperse and reduce the return flow.
I would think the AC110, throttled way down would be plenty of filter - might even consider the AC70 or even AC50 for 40g. You do not also need/want a powerhead unless you're trying to simulate a raging river.

1077 08-22-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qcdan (Post 794272)
Cool sounds like im on the right path to get my cichlids. One more question. How should i setup my substrate, i was thinking aragonite in mesh bags under some kind of gravel but if i can put a mix of aragonite and crushed corals without mesh bags id rather do that, but i heard it might hurt the fishs...and i really need to add something that will keep my ph up since my water ph is low already, and i rather stay far from ph buffers.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

Would look for cichlid substrates and perhaps perform smaller weekly water changes of 25 to 30 percent as opposed to 50 percent .this would help keep rapid shift's in ph from negatively affecting fishes.

Qcdan 08-22-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 794286)
Would look for cichlid substrates and perhaps perform smaller weekly water changes of 25 to 30 percent as opposed to 50 percent .this would help keep rapid shift's in ph from negatively affecting fishes.

I already have a lot of aragonite and crushed coral already thata why i wanted to use that, and it would look very nice with the rocks i have...But if cichlids substrate is that much better i might consider getting some. But like i said i heard it can be dangerous to have "loose" aragonite substrate since cichlids can dig up sometimes..
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 08-22-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qcdan (Post 794308)
I already have a lot of aragonite and crushed coral already thata why i wanted to use that, and it would look very nice with the rocks i have...But if cichlids substrate is that much better i might consider getting some. But like i said i heard it can be dangerous to have "loose" aragonite substrate since cichlids can dig up sometimes..
Posted via Mobile Device

Most of substrates designed for cichlids contain either or, coral/aragaonite.
I personally like cichlid sand for it is a bit smoother.

Qcdan 08-22-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 794313)
Most of substrates designed for cichlids contain either or, coral/aragaonite.
I personally like cichlid sand for it is a bit smoother.

Ooh i see. Well ill go for cichlids sustrate then. Just gotta find a place where they sell some (none of my LFS are...only aragonite and such :/ )

Thanks a lot for your help i appreciate!!
Posted via Mobile Device