Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Corydoras tank mates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corydoras-tank-mates-7866/)

Follow It Home 08-27-2007 10:04 AM

Corydoras tank mates

Hey everyone, I just recently became interested in Corys, and was wondering what good tank mates are for them. What do you guys keep with them?

Falina 08-27-2007 10:30 AM

Cories are a great community fish. They will go with anything that isn't enough to eat them, or any bottom dwellers that would become agressive.

What size is your tank and we'll get some suggestions thoguht up for you.

Follow It Home 08-27-2007 10:34 AM

I have a 30 gallon, 24x12x18 Bow front.

BTW I just read your cory breeding thread julie, and it was a huge help :-)

Falina 08-27-2007 10:37 AM

I'm glad it helped somebody! :)

For a 30g tank I personally would recommend a peaceful community with a shoal of 5-6 cories as you said, a shoal of some sort of small tetra and maybe a pair of GBRs.

Follow It Home 08-27-2007 12:31 PM

just another question, The pH of my water is about 7.4. is that too high for corys? I read somewhere that they like soft to nuetral about 6-7?

Falina 08-27-2007 12:56 PM

A touch high but I find cories adapt easily. Check with the lfs what their Ph is. If it's similar they'll be fine. If not, add some driftwood which will bring the Ph down a bit. You won't have to bring it down drastically.

coley 08-27-2007 04:11 PM

My pH is a little high, around 7.8 and my Cories are all healthy and seem happy.

I currently have 2 platies, 6 Danios and a golden Mystery snail in my 20 gallon with 7 Corys.

In my 10 gallon I have 1 platy, 1 male Betta, 1 oto cat and 3 Panda Corys. I plan on adding one more Panda. I just got to find one. It seems all my LFS are out.

Everyone gets along great.

beetlebz 08-27-2007 05:17 PM

pshaw, my water is like 7.4-7.5 ph and the corys drink it up like water! ok bad joke, but naw as long as you take the time to acclimate them they should be fine :)

Lupin 08-27-2007 06:14 PM

Re: Corydoras tank mates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follow It Home
What do you guys keep with them?

Tetras.:smoke:

Andyandsue 08-28-2007 12:04 AM

Community Tank- danios, golden white clouds, rasboras, snail, shrimp, I've even had a female betta in there. (I know, BORING!)

They are amazing and get along well with almost anything. I would keep them away from any other bottom dwelling semi-aggressive/aggressive breeds.

My pH is 8 (!). I do a drip acclimation with any new fish, and have not had any problems with this pH.

I like to keep in mind what part of the tank (top/middle/bottom) the other fish will likely inhabit. It helps everyone to get along when they feel like they have their "own space".

That is my 2 (maybe 3) cents.