Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Newby alert... advice needed (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/newby-alert-advice-needed-78626/)

kiernan 08-20-2011 08:58 PM

Newby alert... advice needed

My husband bought a 30 gallon tank (I think we may need another). He has...

Balloon Molly 3
Neon Tetra 2
Obessa 3
Dalmation molly 2
Molly 1
Albino Cory 2
tiger barb 5
Cichlid 3
Rasbora 3
Albino rainbow fish 2
Black skirt tetra 3
Head n tail light(?) 2
Dragon Goby 1

I think he has too many but all are thriving. With the combination in this tank can anyone forsee a problem with the cohabitants? Food, what would be best for all? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. ;-)

GwenInNM 08-20-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiernan (Post 792284)
My husband bought a 30 gallon tank (I think we may need another). He has...

Balloon Molly 3
Neon Tetra 2
Obessa 3
Dalmation molly 2
Molly 1
Albino Cory 2
tiger barb 5
Cichlid 3
Rasbora 3
Albino rainbow fish 2
Black skirt tetra 3
Head n tail light(?) 2
Dragon Goby 1

I think he has too many but all are thriving. With the combination in this tank can anyone forsee a problem with the cohabitants? Food, what would be best for all? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. ;-)

Boy, I just hope that tank is cycled or your fish are in for a world of hurt. I see some problems with some fish (tetras) that should be in a larger group. Do you have lots of live plants? Seems overstocked to me. What type of Cichlids do you have? Do you know what your water parameters are?

Gwen

Calmwaters 08-20-2011 09:39 PM

I see lots of problems. First and biggest in my opinion is the Cichlids, depending on what type they are going to get to big and aggressive to be with the other fish. Things maybe fine now but they get more agressive as they mature. Neon tetras and corys need to be in groups of at least 6 which you have no room for. The dragon goby can grow to a over a foot long and should be in a brackish tank. There maybe more but its late and my brain is not working at full speed. You definatly need another bigger tank.

kiernan 08-20-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 792315)
Boy, I just hope that tank is cycled or your fish are in for a world of hurt. I see some problems with some fish (tetras) that should be in a larger group. Do you have lots of live plants? Seems overstocked to me. What type of Cichlids do you have? Do you know what your water parameters are?

Gwen

Yes it is cycled. The neon tetras should be more but seem to have good relationship to the other fish and the over stocking was a consern so hense why none have been added. My husbands cychlid looks exactly like the photo of the month image(pink bellies (f)). No idea what water perimeters are. :-?

sorry gramatically challanged too.

Calmwaters 08-20-2011 09:53 PM

I see that the dragon goby is not in our profile section so here is a link to another site that I have found accurate when I have been doing research. Don't worry about asking alot of questions you have come to the right place for good reliable help and welcome to the forum sorry I forgot to welocme you in the first post.
Dragon Goby

kiernan 08-20-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 792343)
I see lots of problems. First and biggest in my opinion is the Cichlids, depending on what type they are going to get to big and aggressive to be with the other fish. Things maybe fine now but they get more agressive as they mature. Neon tetras and corys need to be in groups of at least 6 which you have no room for. The dragon goby can grow to a over a foot long and should be in a brackish tank. There maybe more but its late and my brain is not working at full speed. You definatly need another bigger tank.

Yes, I thought so as well but how big and what fish need to go together?

kiernan 08-20-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 792354)
I see that the dragon goby is not in our profile section so here is a link to another site that I have found accurate when I have been doing research. Don't worry about asking alot of questions you have come to the right place for good reliable help and welcome to the forum sorry I forgot to welocme you in the first post.
Dragon Goby

My husband has read this and this guy is happy in his dark piping. I know that there is a bit of a controversy about them being in brackish water but ours came from a shop that was leaving them in freshwater. I know this is going to open a whole new can of worms. ;-)

Calmwaters 08-20-2011 10:11 PM

The cichlids you have are Kribensis (Pelvicachromis Pulcher) and you can read about them in our profile section at the top of the page or just click on the shaded name in the post and it will take you there. Your obessa is actually Odessa Barb (Puntius Padamya) they are very active and need a tank that is at least 36 inches long. Let me do some more research and I will get back to you about who should go with who and what size tank it should be as I have not kept all the fish you have. If some one does not straighten it out for you before tomorrow I will be able to get it for you tomorrow.

kiernan 08-20-2011 10:15 PM

Thank you so much Calmwaters your a gem. I will put some pictures up here too and that might clarify my aquarium better than I can lol. I so appreciate the help!

Calmwaters 08-20-2011 10:17 PM

No problem thats what were here for and yes we would love to see pictures.