Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Heaters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/heaters-786/)

love_my_fish 10-09-2006 09:48 PM

Heaters

Not sure where this topic best fits...

Anyway, my 46 gallon tank had in use, a Whisper (Tetra) 120W (I'm guessing) submersible heater. The heater has a black mesh print on it that I discovered was flaking off after about 3 months of use. My fish seemed fine, so I left it in, being sure to vacuum up any of these flakes during water changes.

Why did I buy another one? So I have one in my 29 gallon that is maybe 8 months old. The one in the 46 gallon died just over a week ago. The weather has actually been pretty nice lately, but we had a couple cold nights and I discovered the tank had dropped a good 6 degrees. It was about 3 years old. So now I'm thinking I better replace the one in the other tank, which tends to always be on the high end -- close to 80 no matter what. (and the black stuff is flaking off).

So some questions I have -- anyone use the Elite Submersible by Hagen? (now in my 46 gallon). Any recommendations for good submersible heaters? And what should be the life expectancy of a decent heater?

Lupin 10-09-2006 09:56 PM

I used 250W Sera heater. Should be good for 2 years.:)
I don't use it at the moment as we're getting hotter temps these days.:dunno: I used my heater only for emergencies.

crazie.eddie 10-10-2006 01:19 AM

I used several Wonn Brother's titanium heater and also a ViaAqua Stainless Steel heater. Although they are rather expensive for heaters, they are realiable and accurate. Plus you never have to worry about glass breaking, since they're made of solid. The controllers are located outside the tank, so it's easy to adjust the temp without getting your hands wet.

I have heard of problems with the higher end (digital display) Wonn Brother's titanium heaters failing, but the others are more reliable.

I bought a 50 watt glass heater (I think was Top Fin) for my 5.5 and 2.5 gallon tank, but I found it to flake also. I happened to go to an LPS and look at the heaters and noticed that majority of them had those little black things that look like they flake off, except this cheap 50 watt Hydor heater. So far, it runs well on my 5.5 gallon tank.

I know some people use those Marineland stealth heaters and afterlooking at them, I don't see anything that could flake off.

bettababy 10-13-2006 12:31 AM

I have found the AquaEl to be the sturdiest and still almost the cheapest in submersible heaters. These tend to be cheaper than the hang on type, which makes them safer and easier to use. They're just as good in saltwater as freshwater.

microsoft 10-13-2006 05:08 PM

are heaters really necessary?

Nick 10-13-2006 05:10 PM

yes they are VERY necessaryy. You need to maintain your freshwater aquarium at about 80 degress F. Usually w/ out a heater it will drop to normal temperature.

microsoft 10-13-2006 05:22 PM

really?
because i just keep my room really warm
i don't have a heater in my tank?
does it cost a lot?

crazie.eddie 10-13-2006 05:45 PM

Heaters are only necessary if the ambient room temp is allot colder that what the tank temp should be kept at.

He just assumed, as I would, since we both live in areas where it gets very cold.

Rebecca 10-13-2006 07:21 PM

In places like.... oh, the Sahara desert or other places with similar climates (like Tucson, for example. Just kidding. :)), sometimes you actually have to work to keep the temperature down. But it does depend on where you like like Eddie mentioned. If CT stands for Conneticuit, Mircrosoft, then I'd definitly get a heater for the cold winters. It also depends on what kind of fish you have; if your fish are cold-water, then you might not need a heater, but if they are warm-water like 80+ degrees a heater is probably a good idea. :D

Lupin 10-13-2006 07:39 PM

Too bad...My heater killed several of my tetras last July. That will teach me not to use it when I live in the tropics.:bluelaugh: