Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Sons first aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/sons-first-aquarium-78533/)

PeteAsh 08-19-2011 04:08 PM

Sons first aquarium

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, just thought I'd run a little thread showing the progess of my 5 year old son's tank. I say his tank, when it's obviously as much for me :-D
I set it up 5 days ago, 24"x15"x12", sand substrate, eheim 2213 external and artificial plants for now. I used to have 3 tanks on the go when I was younger, but since work and kids took over its a pale and distant memory...until now.
I've started a fishless cycle using ammonia, and test each day to keep levels around 5 ppm. No real readings for nitrite yet, but a bit early for that.
I'll let the tank finish its cycle and then start to stock slowly with the aim of having a half a dozen corys (prob sterbai), zebra danios, cherry shrimp, and maybe a bristlenose (ancistrus). Was thinking of guppies so my son can see some babies, but a think the flow matbe a touch fast and stress them, any thoughts ?

Thanks, Pete

Attachment 34837

martian123 08-19-2011 04:21 PM

you have one lucky son. I am 11 and my dad just decided to get me two 30 gallon tanks. I really do have the best dad in the world.

Beaches 08-19-2011 07:39 PM

GEE! That is a beautiful tank..:welldone:

That's around 15 gallons, which may be a tad small for a good group of the cories perhaps. The danios are hyperactive fish and I would suggest at least a 20 gallon for them. If you do go with danios, your son will still get to see fry as they don't need any encouragement where breeding is concerned ;-). If your filter has a flow-control knob, you would be able to regulate the current for guppies, but I don't think they mind a fast water current, as long as they aren't being swept away by it and struggling to swim against it, if they have plenty of places to get away from it, it should be fine depending on how fast it actually is. When I had guppies, they were always playing in the water current from the HOB filters.

BarbH 08-19-2011 08:30 PM

Hello and welcome to TFK :-D

The tank is looking good, are you eventually planning on doing live plants? You should be okay with your tank with the corys and the zebra danios. For the bristlenose pleco you may want to have some floating plants to help to lessen the intensity of the light.

PeteAsh 08-20-2011 02:09 AM

Thanks guys. I put a spray bar on the filter outlet so prob be okay for guppies. I live in the uk and I know we have slight differences with gallons. I worked it out to 70 litres ? Which should mean once mature it could home around 26" of fish ?
I love the idea of a planted tank, and have read Byrons posts which are great. Gotta say I still find it daunting though, and would be concerned over the lighting requirements and the rate the filter turns the tank over. Loving this website, really helpful refreshing and building my knowledge. I'll sort a few floating plants as you suggest.
Thanks, Pete

Romad 08-20-2011 08:53 AM

What a great looking tank that is :thumbsup: Your son must be very happy and excited about it.

Welcome to TFK. We're glad you found us.

Grimmjow 08-20-2011 08:54 AM

Ive got a few lyretail guppies and a few tiger cobra endlers (something like that) and they are always on the side with the current, they spend the whole day chasing each other. May just be me, but I wouldnt add female guppies... I had a couple males and females a while ago and its like constant production.

PeteAsh 08-20-2011 12:45 PM

Glad I found the site, some of the tanks are inspirational and all the help and guidance is fantastic.

So, now I'm seriously considering planting the tank as I think the overall result will be well worth the extra time spent. I'm going to get an 18" T8 6500k tube, and have come across this starter bundle for a 24" tank:

5 x Hygrophylia Polysperma
5 x Cabomba Caroliana
5 x Ludwigia Mullertii
5 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii
5 x Elodea Densa
1 x Aponogetum Crispus
5 Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass)
10 x mini Amazon Sword
5 x Bacopa Monnerii
5 x Twisted Vallisneria
10 x Sagittaria Natans
5 x Rotalla Indica

Plants are completely new to me, so I was wondering if these are ok ? Also given the external filtration and turn over rate would I need to start messing with CO2, as I don't really want to go down that route. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Pete
Oh yeah and 6 days in I'm now getting nitrite readings, so the cycling is progressing.

patadams66 08-24-2011 08:35 AM

Check out the plant profiles at the top of the page.

I know when i was choosing plants i stayed away from dwarf hair grass bc of high light requirement

PeteAsh 08-24-2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, had a bit more of a look into things and think the overall bundle sounds ok. Noted about the dwarf hairgrass though.

I've had a total rethink with the tank and have decided to go for planted. I've put in a new 450mm Arcadia Freshwater T8 (6500k) with a reflector, and added 3 pieces of bogwood. As well as the above bundle I've also picked up an Anubias Barterii for the bogwood and some American Pennywort to float. Did a 30% water change, and readings are now 0.4 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 7.4 Ph and 4 ppm Nitrate. Also added Tetra plantamin liquid fert, and tab fert under crypts.

Should I keep cycling with ammonia, or let it drop and add a few tetras/danios, as per some of the comments around not needing to cycle if well planted ?? Thanks, Pete :-)

Still a bit cloudy from planting yet.