Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   how many swordtails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/how-many-swordtails-78529/)

KendraMc 08-19-2011 03:36 PM

how many swordtails
 
how many swordtails is it best to have? i have a 29 gal tank currently with two swords (one male one female) a pleco and 5 tiger barbs. i know i'm close to full, but i was thinking about getting one or two more female swords. does this sound like a good idea?

SeaHorse 08-19-2011 03:46 PM

The last time I bought Swordtails they were Neon Swordtails and they were only being sold in M/F pairs. The LFS said they do better that way, rather than the 1 M to 3 F harem ratio. Sometimes fish will pair off and then the left over females get harrassed. Also if you think you are close to capacity... what will you do when you have live babies? Not sure if you have other tanks cycled and ready. what kind of swordtails are they?

KendraMc 08-19-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 790655)
The last time I bought Swordtails they were Neon Swordtails and they were only being sold in M/F pairs. The LFS said they do better that way, rather than the 1 M to 3 F harem ratio. Sometimes fish will pair off and then the left over females get harrassed. Also if you think you are close to capacity... what will you do when you have live babies? Not sure if you have other tanks cycled and ready. what kind of swordtails are they?

at the moment, my tank isn't well enough planted for many babies to live, but i also have a friend with a tank that still has some room, and i'm going to be getting another tank as soon as i move (the current one is at the office i work at).

i'm not entirely sure what the two i have are, i think i saw them labled as red and white mickey mouse swordtails. at first i guessed mickey mouse platy/pineapple sword crosses, but i'm not sure. there are so many varieties it is hard to keep track of them.

martian123 08-19-2011 05:17 PM

how big is your pleco? If it is very big than the swords might work out but if it is little than you are not even close to over crowding...

i have a 29 g and about 20 fish 2 inches in size


that whole "1 inch of fish per gallon of water" is not true and it all depends on the species and how many plants in the tank. Your species are not agressive and should be fine with more fish

KendraMc 08-19-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martian123 (Post 790840)
how big is your pleco? If it is very big than the swords might work out but if it is little than you are not even close to over crowding...

he's about 5 inches, so it is getting close. but i think i should be able to have a few more fish without it being a problem. i will just have to stay on top of water changes.

Beaches 08-19-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 790633)
how many swordtails is it best to have? i have a 29 gal tank currently with two swords (one male one female) a pleco and 5 tiger barbs. i know i'm close to full, but i was thinking about getting one or two more female swords. does this sound like a good idea?

I think this question (and all your similar posts on this) has already been answered in one of your other threads..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron
Yes, very bad. Gourami are quiet sedate fish with long fins. Barbs, especially Tiger Barb, are notorious fin nippers and would likely decimate the gourami. The swordtails may fall victim at some point.

In a 29g with Tiger Barb, in my view there is no space for anything else except some substrate fish that TB tend to leave alone. Increasing the group to 8 or more will also hlep to spread out their natural aggression. You can read more in our profile, click the shaded name.

Byron.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/would-gouramis-good-fit-78404/#ixzz1VW7VmE25


KendraMc 08-20-2011 01:23 PM

that isn't really my question. i want to know what is best for my swords. would they be better off with more of them?

Beaches 08-20-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 790633)
how many swordtails is it best to have? i have a 29 gal tank currently with two swords (one male one female) a pleco and 5 tiger barbs. i know i'm close to full, but i was thinking about getting one or two more female swords. does this sound like a good idea?

With respect Kendra :-) actually it was (or at least in part, as in your OP). I think it would be unwise to add anymore as you do not have the room (as mentioned in Byron's quote I posted) if you still intend on adding more tiger barbs. What would be best for the swordtails is to not have them in the tank with the barbs at all, as it is a bad combination.

To answer the question then on how many swordtails is it best to have; keeping only one male in a tank is preferable, as the males can be aggressive in their own right towards other males and become more territorial as they mature. It doesn't specifically matter how many females you have, but 3 is usually recommended, so that the harassment is divided between them. I have never known them to pair up as such, but even if they did, the males constant attention will take a toll the the lone female. I have always kept a ratio of more females to males with any livebearers I have had.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2