Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Im not sure what variation of Platy I have bought today, Ive never seen it before (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/im-not-sure-what-variation-platy-78448/)

low05011487 08-18-2011 06:04 PM

Im not sure what variation of Platy I have bought today, Ive never seen it before

Hi Folks :-D

Today I went to the aquatic store to purchase some lovely meaty blood worm and brine shrimp for my fish, and whilst admiring the tanks I spotted some very unusual platies, which to my knowledge I have never seen for sale before or on the internet. I decided to purchase one as I couldnt resist wanting to increase my Platy count to 3 (currently had 2 wagtails).

Anyway to get to the point the first thing that struck me was that these platies were quite large and a blue/grey colour with darker speckles, I asked the assistant for one and I even said the name of it as per advertised on the tank but now the name completely eludes me. The other strange thing was that the platy had a 'U' shaped tail, like a half moon had been cut out of it but not long like a lyre tail or thin like a endlers guppy for instance. The second surprise was that when I got it home, inspection revealed a female, yet the assistant said it was an all male tank (did I strike lucky? who knows).

Can anyone help me out as to a potential name for this jewel in my tank? I would like to put a photo up tommorow, for now I do not wish to freak her out with camera flashes whilst it is dark (UK).

Many Thanks

BarbH 08-18-2011 10:28 PM

Definitly post a picture will help in identifying what you have. The coloring sounds possibly like a dawn platy maybe, but pictures will definitly help in id'ing them.

low05011487 08-21-2011 12:05 AM

*New photos of Platy*

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I have finally managed to get a photo of the said platy, all though I begin to question whether it is one at all. Can anyone help? I have 3 male platys in that tank and none seem interested in her at all. Im sorry the photos are not the best, my brother has been hoarding my camera for months now, so have to do with the old mobile! Many Thanks in advance.

Attachment 35005

Attachment 35006

BarbH 08-21-2011 12:13 AM

I think it looks like it has more of the body of a swordtail? Maybe a cross between platy and sword? The coloring reminds me a bit of a dawn colored platy.

low05011487 08-21-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 792479)
I think it looks like it has more of the body of a swordtail? Maybe a cross between platy and sword? The coloring reminds me a bit of a dawn colored platy.

I thinking that your right! Although Ive never had swordtails , the platy does have a rather long more stream lined body, shes very big too, still doesnt get hasseled by the males, which I was expecting, instead they just chase eachother.

Pisces47 08-22-2011 12:58 AM

Looks more like a Lyretail Sword to me, colouring is a bit strange though.

BarbH 08-22-2011 01:06 AM

I agree doing some more searching and I would say it is a lyretail sword. The coloring reminds me a bit of my dawn platy that I have, which pictures with better lighting may help. Not sure of the colorings available with swords :dunno:

Pisces47 08-22-2011 01:12 AM

Just call the store and ask them for the name, then we will all be happy!!

Pisces47 08-22-2011 01:18 AM

BarbH,
Swords come in many colours, green, red, white, dalmation, etc., but the best of all is the Koi Sword, exactly like a Japanese Koi carp in colouring.....absolutely stunning.

Pisces47

low05011487 08-22-2011 02:00 PM

Ive managed to get some slightly better photos :) I think I may drop into the store if Im by that way to see the name for myself, just a shame its so far away. I agree on its colouring being similar to that of a dawn platy as I have one, I would say this one is slightly darker though and the blue is not as vibrant. The only way I will know is to look at the name on the tank in person, I feel like an idiot forgetting its name- 5 second memory span, something I have in common with the fish there, but im almost certain it was a platy I asked for, though I could be mistanken as the platy's, mollies, swords and guppy's are all on the same side in tanks side by side.