Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 20 gallon tank, woo hooo!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-20-gallon-tank-woo-hooo-784/)

Tracy 10-09-2006 07:47 PM

New 20 gallon tank, woo hooo!!

I just got a new 20 gallon tank and would like some imput on what I should keep in it (after it's been set up and properly cycled, of course :wink: ). I would like to have tetras or other schoaling fish that are under 3 inches when full grown (no live bearers). Any suggestions? I also like small aquatic frogs, and already have a cory cat that can go in it. I'd also prefer not to have neons. Looking forward to your suggestions for fish, gravel colour, live plants and other decorations. This is SUCH an addictive hobby, I'm loving it!

SimplySplendid 10-09-2006 07:59 PM

Well I don't know what fish you want, but I can help with the aquascape :D

Do you want driftwood? Rocks? Heavily planted? Lightly planted?
First chose a "theme" then we can give you some ideas :D

P.S.- please post a pic!! :)

Lupin 10-09-2006 08:03 PM

Re: New 20 gallon tank, woo hooo!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_gourami45
I just got a new 20 gallon tank and would like some imput on what I should keep in it (after it's been set up and properly cycled, of course :wink: ). I would like to have tetras or other schoaling fish that are under 3 inches when full grown (no live bearers). Any suggestions? I also like small aquatic frogs, and already have a cory cat that can go in it. I'd also prefer not to have neons. Looking forward to your suggestions for fish, gravel colour, live plants and other decorations. This is SUCH an addictive hobby, I'm loving it!

The bold sentence: Agreed.:thumbsup: I'm getting so addicted with my tanks.:crazy: I'm looking forward for another tank which is 55 gallons and will contain shoals of harlequin rasboras, diamond tetras and flame tetras.:crazy:

Why not try a shoal of harlequin rasboras with diamond tetras?:thumbsup: They're stunning shoalers.:love: As for bottom, try otos or cories. Maybe hatchets for the surface.:)

Good luck with the fishkeeping.:)

Tracy 10-09-2006 08:17 PM

Yes, I do like the rasboras as they are small, so can keep many! As for aquascaping, I love the natural looking aquariums with real rocks, driftwood and live plants. I don't know whether to go with natural colour gravel, or my other favourite -- mostly black, with blue or green in it (or a combination of those three colours). Thanks for the input thus far; I haven't even put it on the stand yet or filled it with water, much less purchased the decorative stuff, but it will mean lots with everyone's input :)

Nick 10-09-2006 10:00 PM

I would DEFINETLY go with the natural look. Meaning get natural gravel, see my avatar, and if your planning on getting any plecos ( :D :D ) than driftwood is a must! Well...you should get wood in the tank anyway it brings the natural look out. Also, your probably not going for the heavily planted aquarium so you can just get a few background plants and maybe some java fern to attach to rocks/wood. There is unlimited answers! And yes... THIS HOBBY IS ADDICTING![/b]

SimplySplendid 10-09-2006 10:11 PM

You really don't need wood, you could go with an all-rock look with some plants to fill in the spaces.
I've been going with the all-rock look because not many people have it, most people have the driftwood look which I am not very fond of (in my tank), and also I live in Arizona so there are way more rocks around than driftwood.

Tracy 10-10-2006 01:53 AM

Okay, how do you attach plants to the driftwood? At one of the nicer fish stores here, they sell fancy plants attached to driftwood, and they are very expensive ($80 - $100 each). Would be a great do it yourself thing, if it's possible. I really like how that looks.

Lupin 10-10-2006 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_gourami45
Okay, how do you attach plants to the driftwood? At one of the nicer fish stores here, they sell fancy plants attached to driftwood, and they are very expensive ($80 - $100 each). Would be a great do it yourself thing, if it's possible. I really like how that looks.

There are few plants which you can attach to the woods. They're Anubias, Vesicularia dubyana(Javan moss) and Microsorium pteropus(Javan fern).
Simply tie them with a black string(which can camouflage to the wood) and wait for a few months until those plants will establish on the wood permanently. Then you can remove the string once the plants have established.

Tracy 10-10-2006 11:20 AM

I'll have to give that a try (the driftwood with plants on it).

RE: the rocks, Brie, I agree with that. I have seen some absolutely stunning set ups at one fish store and what makes them so pretty are the rocks and the live plants.

I will still have a piece of driftwood though, just not too much because the big one I have in my 46 gallon is still giving off tannin. It takes forever doesn't it? I don't know if I want to buy more new driftwood and go through that again. I have an older, smaller piece I will use for the big tanks. Thank you everyone!

trreherd 10-10-2006 05:03 PM

how about some glass fish with some hatchets and about 6 tiger barbs(In larger groups i heard they are less agresive) maybe a small bottom feeder(you know the ones with there mouths pointed down) and a snail and a bunch of gost shrimp I wish i could fit that in a 5 gallon :D