Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Trying to do things right (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/trying-do-things-right-78373/)

TR1XSTA 08-17-2011 10:00 PM

Trying to do things right

I have had my tank for 2 years this October. I stopped caring, I never cleaned it. I didn't have any plecos to help the algea problem. It was all over the tank. Two fish I had in that tank and they still live togday. One was a fry that I raised and now is well over 4 inch's A peacock cichlid and a Albino. I have recently cleaned the tank and felt bad for the fish and couldnt belive i let it get that bad. But now that I have cleaned it and looks brand new again. My girlfriend has added a Jack Dempsey a bublee bee and 2 plecos. I have a 55 Gallon tank. That is way to small for thoughs types of fish. So sorry for the background story of my life. I have a couple questions? I want to do things right and I know i have to do water changes every week and keep it up this time. But the Albino for 2 years and still now rarely moves around he moves but not like the peacock and barly eats. But is very agressive. He chases all the new fish and the peacock. He is still the same size when i bought him over a year and a hlf ago. Maybe a tad bigger. The peacock his huge now bgger than the Albino and i raised him from when he was a fry. But he just sits under the same rock, I feed the fish they all come up and eat he just hangs out. I thought hed be dead by now but he just keeps living. I just want to know how i can get him more enegetic. Or is it the type of fish he is. Also I put a good amount of food in the tank to make sure all the fish eat and I watch them. But the peacock will eat so much before the other fish. Then the other fish will get 1 pellet and be done. Then I take remander of food out of the tank. How can i make sure all the fish eat? But the peacock eats to much.

BarbH 08-17-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR1XSTA (Post 788081)
I have had my tank for 2 years this October. I stopped caring, I never cleaned it. I didn't have any plecos to help the algea problem. It was all over the tank. Two fish I had in that tank and they still live togday. One was a fry that I raised and now is well over 4 inch's A peacock cichlid and a Albino. I have recently cleaned the tank and felt bad for the fish and couldnt belive i let it get that bad. But now that I have cleaned it and looks brand new again. My girlfriend has added a Jack Dempsey a bublee bee and 2 plecos. I have a 55 Gallon tank. That is way to small for thoughs types of fish. So sorry for the background story of my life. I have a couple questions? I want to do things right and I know i have to do water changes every week and keep it up this time. But the Albino for 2 years and still now rarely moves around he moves but not like the peacock and barly eats. But is very agressive. He chases all the new fish and the peacock. He is still the same size when i bought him over a year and a hlf ago. Maybe a tad bigger. The peacock his huge now bgger than the Albino and i raised him from when he was a fry. But he just sits under the same rock, I feed the fish they all come up and eat he just hangs out. I thought hed be dead by now but he just keeps living. I just want to know how i can get him more enegetic. Or is it the type of fish he is. Also I put a good amount of food in the tank to make sure all the fish eat and I watch them. But the peacock will eat so much before the other fish. Then the other fish will get 1 pellet and be done. Then I take remander of food out of the tank. How can i make sure all the fish eat? But the peacock eats to much.

Hello and welcome to TFK :-D I don't want to sound discouaraging, but what had made you stop caring about the tank? Was it due to a loss of interest? Busy schedule? One of the things that I would think about is what is it that led to not maintaining the tank, and if the reason for that has changed.

On the issue of algae most plecos and other bottom feeders that do eat algae will only eat certain types of algae, and alot of plecos as they get older will actually stop eating algae. Also depending on the type of pleco that you have some of them like the common pleco can get rather large and will actually outgrow the 55 gallon and need at least a 75 gallon or larger.

Also do you know what your water parameters are the level of your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? When testing these I would recommend using a liquid test kit like API master test kit. The liquid test kits are more accurate than the strip tests are. The levels that you are looking to have in the tank is ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates at 20 or less, but you should be having some nitrate reading. If your nitrate reading are too high they will affect the health of your fish.