Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Convcit Breeding Log (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/convcit-breeding-log-78312/)

BarbH 08-17-2011 01:00 PM

Convcit Breeding Log

I decided to start this thread as a place to keep track of the breeding of my pink convicts from prespawning to behaviors, thru the raising of their fry. For those who are interested in following along I will be making updates every few days or so. For pictures of the future mom and dad they can be found in the aquarium tab under my convict tank.

Here is what has been happening so far...
8/3 I purchased my pink convict pair, at the store they already had babies in with them that was born on 7/1 according to the pet store. The happy couple where placed into their new home, where they stayed mostly hidden among the caves and under the sponge filter most of the time.

8/8 The male has continued to stay hidden most of the time, especially anytime movement can be seen any where near the tank. Decided to try adding some dither fish to see if could make him more comfortable, 8 zebra danios. Within hours noticed the male starting to come out more into the open and not hiding as much under the leaves of the fake plants.

8/12 Have started to see the beginning of prespawning and mating behavior. The female has started to color up more, the orange on her belly starting to become more intense, also along her fins have started to see gold in the finnage near the body, and also along the edges of the fins starting to see a blue green color that can be seen when the lighting hits it a certain way. Have also seen the male and female starting to follow each other around and swimming together.

8/14 Have started to notice along the edges of the males fins the same blue coloration that I have been seeing in the female. Also the coloring in the females finnage has increased even more.

8/16 Can now see the females breeding tube, and beginning to see what I believe to also be the males breeding tube. Have started to see them also start to move gravel around.

BarbH 08-19-2011 03:24 PM

8/19 Female's breeding tube is definitly showing. Have observed the female flaring her gills now at the male. Female is also starting to spend alot of time in one of the caves. She will come out every once in awhile and came out for feeding this morning, but spends most of the time in what is her favorite cave at the moment. Have noticed that the female is also starting to look a little plump around the middle. Expecting for her to lay eggs now pretty soon.

jeaninel 08-20-2011 05:10 AM

If she's spending a lot of time in her cave she probably already has eggs in there.:-)

BarbH 08-20-2011 09:31 AM

8/20 Houston, we have eggs :-D She is still coming out of the cave for moments and her breeding tube is still showing. Anytime I try to look in the cave when she is out of it she comes back and hovers in the front looking at me. I am thinking that the eggs where layed this morning. Hopefully will be seeing wigglers by Monday or Tuesday.

BarbH 08-20-2011 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to get a picture of some of the eggs, most of them are located towards the back and hard to see with the fake plants that are in front of her cave. From the right angle was able to get some of them.

rrcoolj 08-20-2011 11:56 AM

Congrats!

Convicts might be common but that doesn't mean they are not still fun to breed. Your setup looks good for them be sure to post pictures. My midas pair have also began courting and I believe they will be laying eggs any day now.

BarbH 08-20-2011 12:08 PM

Will definitly be taking pictures as they allow me. I haven't seen pink convicts around my area much, and the only other place that seems to have them often is petsmart, so might be lucky in being able to take the fry to some of the other LFS that buy from local breeders. If not there are other options that I have,including the fact that my angels in my other tank would enjoy in doing some hunting, I never see any of the platy fry that are born in that community tank.

rrcoolj 08-20-2011 02:11 PM

Sounds like you have everything planned out. Can't wait to see more pics.

BarbH 08-22-2011 01:42 PM

8/22 The eggs that had been in the orginal cave are no longer there. A couple of days ago while the female was guarding the eggs they also dug a new pit within one of the broken flower pots that I used. I am wondering if they might have moved the wigglers to a new location. Will have to wait and see if any fry appear.

jeaninel 08-24-2011 03:08 AM

She probably did move them. Mine always moves her eggs once they're wrigglers. She places them in the crevices of a rock and clears a pit below the rock of all gravel down to the glass. That way if the wrigglers fall of the rock (as they always seem to do) she can pick them up easily from the glass bottom and spit them back onto the rock. Watch yours closely to see where she hangs out. She'll look like she's hunting through the gravel. Most likely she'll be looking for stragglers. Keep us posted!