Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Ctenopoma acutirostre (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/ctenopoma-acutirostre-7830/)

yippee 08-26-2007 12:12 AM

Ctenopoma acutirostre

first of all, sorry if this is the incorrect section. with what i have found online this seemed to be where they fit in.

i have had my eyes on a Ctenopoma acutirostre (leopard bush fish, spotted bush fish, African spotted gourami, Spotted Climbing Perch, etc.) but i wanted to make sure i completed my research completely before commiting to one.
http://www.plantedtank.net/images/fish/109/100.jpg

first of all, i noticed the label at the pet store said to add salt to the tank (not a saltwater tank), but from everything i have read online they are said to be straight freshwater fish. can anybody spread any light on this?

secondly i have a 55gallon tank currently without any fish. these will be the first added fish to the tank. i understand they will eat smaller fish if given the chance, so i know to avoid that (as far as owning fish, not including feeders). how many of these would you recomend keeping in the same tank? i know they are territorial and require hiding spots, which they will have. i would like two, but could make due with one more/less if needed.

also, kind of part of the last situation: i hear if they are kept together at a young age they will hunt in a pack, anyone know whether this is true?

i think those were the only concerns i had, if i think of more i will post them.

thanks. matt

The-Wolf 08-26-2007 03:00 AM

the trick with keeping a group is to introduce them all at the same time.
your size tank would be great for a group of 5-6.
if you only get a pair and then a few months down the line decide you want to add more, that is when you will have territory issues to deal with.

salt is not required at all and should never be used in a freshwater set up.
hunting in a pack?, they don't hunt per-say but are more of an ambush predator, often drifting around looking like a leaf to unsuspecting prey, then with lightening speed strike, you'll see this if you feed some defrosted prawn/shrimp or hikari floating carnivorous sticks.

for tank mates consider anything that is too big to be eaten as good,
provided they are not aggressive theirselves.
My m/f pair are kept with moustached danios, yoma danios, giant danios, elegant rasboras and striped barbs.
I have orange finned blue botias and flathead eelcats for the bottom and
their is also a dwarf snakehead and a crayfish too.
I've never had any problems with this mix.

if you only want a pair go for the one in the display tank with the largest looking tailfin and the one with the smallest looking, that way you stand a very good chance of having a m/f pair (not a true test of sexing in youngsters but works more often than not).

HTH

tophat665 08-26-2007 09:15 AM

You saw these at Petsmart. Idiots. They keep these guys with the Dwarf Puffers or the needlenose gars and say that they need salt too, and yet they keep the violet gobies in a straight fresh tank. </rant>

I have three of these. Right now they're in a 25 gallon with a young blue gourami and a bunch of feeder guppies. They'll be the nucleus of a 110 gallon high west African tank. They got rid of every fish under 3/4" within 3 days.

Super cool fish.

My best advice on them is to make sure that your tank has some nice thick stands of plants for maximum lurk-age. Branchy wood is good too - manzanita, frinstance. Also, I would (and will) include a breeding team of some sort of livebearer in my stock list (I'll be using swordtails because I'll be including some fish in this tank that would eat a full grown guppy or platy, but either of those would work just fine in other circumstances) to provide occasional snacks of fry.

yippee 01-03-2008 07:52 PM

hello all. sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. i am finally getting ready to add these fish to my 55gallon tank. i have been thinking about it and i would like to add 3 of these to my tank. i assume they will do fine in a group of three? also, will this still leave me adequate room to add other types of fish?

thanks, matt

tophat665 01-03-2008 09:38 PM

3 in a 55 should be fine, just make sure that your aquasacpe breaks up the sightlines into at least 3, preferably 4 or 5 distinct zones.

SST 01-04-2008 09:07 AM

Please post pics when you've got it all up and running. Sounds beautiful.

yippee 01-22-2008 01:49 AM

i am back again. i have started to reconsider my tank setup. would these fish work at all with angelfish? if not i have to decide between the two before i can go any further.

Lupin 01-22-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippee
i am back again. i have started to reconsider my tank setup. would these fish work at all with angelfish? if not i have to decide between the two before i can go any further.

I don't see why not.

yippee 01-22-2008 02:03 AM

two of these, plus two angels in a 55; is that enough room?

Lupin 01-22-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippee
two of these, plus two angels in a 55; is that enough room?

It'll be fine.