Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking list (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-list-7822/)

Follow It Home 08-25-2007 06:11 PM

Stocking list

Hello everyone these are just the options I am looking at for my 30 gallon, 24x12x18 Bow Front tank. I was just wondering what you guys would do with it...like how you would stock with these options. I really dont like pushing the limits on my tank so that is a factor too. I realize im asking alot but thank you to anyone who will participate :-)

4 or 8 Swordtails (1 male/3 female) or (2 male/6 female)
1 Angelfish
3 or 4 Bleeding Heart Tetras
3 or 4 Corydoras of a small variety
2 Blue Rams
4 or 5 Harl. Rasboras
3 or 4 Rummy nose tetras

Again its just a mock up list of fish I like. And I appreciate anyones participation. Also if you know of any other fish im am open to anything. TIA:-)

Lupin 08-25-2007 09:12 PM

Ditch the swordtails off your list. They will need much more swimming space than a 2-footer. Pick only one tetra species: either rummy-nose or bleeding heart which in this case, I prefer the latter and increase the number to 8. I'd go with 6 small cories with pandas being the first to come to mind.

Falina 08-25-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Ditch the swordtails off your list. They will need much more swimming space than a 2-footer. Pick only one tetra species: either rummy-nose or bleeding heart which in this case, I prefer the latter and increase the number to 8. I'd go with 6 small cories with pandas being the first to come to mind.

Ditto!

Also, 30g is really too small for an angelfish. They need a tall tank, MINUMUM 18".

Follow It Home 08-26-2007 09:26 AM

I like bleeding hearts alot, so im glad they can go in. Can tiger barbs go in with bleeding hearts. I thought aobut just having two decent sized shoals of those 2 species. Maybe a small group of corys too.

Lupin 08-26-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follow It Home
Can tiger barbs go in with bleeding hearts.

Nope. The chance of nipping is still there. Choose harlequin rasboras instead.:)

Follow It Home 08-26-2007 07:14 PM

Allll righty. Are the corys ok? I saw some peppered corys at the LFS today and decided I have to have them :-P. hopefully in this tank, but I am determined I will put them in a tank of there own if need be :-)

Falina 08-26-2007 07:17 PM

I would say the cories should be fine. They like their own company. 6 is a great number.

Follow It Home 08-27-2007 09:00 AM

Would 6 corys and 6 or 7 bleeding hearts be too much?

beetlebz 08-27-2007 01:11 PM

naw, i wouldnt think so, im sure one of the experienced folks could correct me if im wrong but id throw the blue rams in there too :)

Lupin 08-27-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follow It Home
Would 6 corys and 6 or 7 bleeding hearts be too much?

Nope. They occupy different levels.