Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What cory... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-cory-7820/)

Mating Slinkys 08-25-2007 04:29 PM

What cory...

OK, i'm sure this has been asked many times before, but what's the best cory?

I know that's a very subjective thing, and what i'm really asking is, wht one's do you folk like, and why. That way i can make a decision about which ones to put in my new 52g!

At the moment i'm leaning towards a group of 6-7 Sterbai, as they are quite pretty, and i've heard good things about their activness. (although i do like the idea of having a massive shoal of Pygmy cories...)

So ideas please, or if not ideas for me, then just have a rant about your favourite cory!

willow 08-25-2007 04:43 PM

okiediddleokies
peppered cories for me if findingthem very nice
and hardey,they are nice in a group,they have there monents
of playing together,and times when they are very chilled
out,and i like they way that they sort of blink.
:D

tophat665 08-25-2007 05:36 PM

I've got Sterbas (7), Albino bronzes(5), Bandits (metae)(6), Pandas (2), Pygmys (10-12), and a lonely Trilineatus (the last survivor of a shoal ill advisedly housed in a turtle tank). Of them I find the albinos to be least shy, most active, least skittish, and most engaging. On the other hand, if I am awake and have the leisure early enough in the morning that the sun is hitting the tank with the Pygmys before the tank light is on and I can sit and watch them, they're pretty durn cool as well, but its only for a short time in the morning that they're really active.

Oh, and 3 dozen or so albino fry, which helps. My Sterbas bred for me too, but didn't put the eggs where I could recover and hatch them, so I kept finding fry in ones and twos around the tank and in the filter. (OTOH, the sterbas are starting to act like they might drop another spawn right soon. And the surviving youngsters are about 3/4" long now, and little clowns)

Lupin 08-25-2007 09:04 PM

There has to be a lot of good choices but I prefer Sterbais, pandas and peppered cories.:mrgreen:

jones57742 08-25-2007 10:43 PM

Ms:

I have indicated before that I have 7 sterbai.

They are:

the hardiest fish in my tank;

very, very pretty fish;

good at bottom cleaning and

very enjoyable in their antics.

TR

Falina 08-25-2007 11:12 PM

I vote sterbai, though am a huge fan of any type of cory TBH.

Mating Slinkys 08-26-2007 06:10 AM

Looks like th econsensus is sterbai then. i'm probably gonna go for them then! How many would be a happy group? It's a 50g and i want space for some other shoals of fish in the higher levels, as well as the Angels and Brian the plec....

tophat665 08-26-2007 08:42 AM

Seven is a really good number for a Cory shoal for the regular sized ones. That'll take up 15-20 gallons of bioload and leave you 60%. Put in (if you are going this way) a big shoal of 20 smaller tetras, a smaller shoal of 6-10 larger tetras (emperors, f'rinstance), a Bristlenosed pleco, and use the rest of it (should be about 10 gallons capy left) for a couple of less standard fish. Course, you could be heading in an entirely different direction, in which case you have 30-35 happy gallons of bioload you could fill with all sorts of neat critters. And if you plant the tank heavily, then your looking at 80 gallons of equivalent bioload left (on the theory that a heavily planted tank doubles carrying capacity once established).

Falina 08-26-2007 10:39 AM

I agree with tophat, 6-7 is a great number for a shoal of cories.

Cories aren't huge waste producers and they're a pretty good clean up crew as well. Personally (though you know how biased I am) I would get the shoal of sterbai and then also a shaol of another type of cory. Even then you've still plenty of room for your angel, the pair of rams you were talking about if you decide on them, and quite a few other fish that you might fancy. I have 2 shoals of cories and I love to watch how they keep to their own groups most of the time but then every now and again one must take the huff or something and away he goes with the other lot, as if making some sort of point! LOL I just love them! Just my tuppence worth though :)

Andyandsue 08-26-2007 10:27 PM

Albino, Emerald, and Panda.

I am partial to the albino because they have the best "personality". Get along with everyone in the tank, even my hand when it makes an appearance. Emerald and Panda are beautiful and also peaceful, but Albino gets my vote.

I agree about mixing it up a bit. I have a group of 3 and they are always together, and I have some eggs so I might have more. In my opinion, 5 is a good number. You have the space, so why not do 5 each of 2 different species. If you chose Species that look nothing alike it would be a great effect; dark and a light ones, Panda and spotted variety, or solid and striped for example.