Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-7814/)

spy1011 08-25-2007 02:18 AM

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do recent water canges like once every2 weeks

a day or 3 after water change my tank get cloudy wats goin on?????

something is wrong

plz some1 help me! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:[/list]

mHeinitz57 08-25-2007 10:32 AM

are you doing gravel vacs with the water changes? Is the cloudiness milky white or green? White cloudiness is due to a bloom of heterotrophic bacteria that come in when there is a surge of nutrients in the tank. They swim around feeding off nutrients and then the cloudiness clears up as the nutrient level depletes. Sometimes when you do gravel vacs you kick up a lot of nutrients but some tap water also has a lot of nutrients in it and so just doing water changes can cause the bacterial bloom too. How much water are you changing at once? How big is the tank? You might want to try changing half the ammount you usually change but do it every week. If the tap water is nutrient-rich then you may be changing too much at once. The bacteria themselves are not harmful but their by-product is ammonia so make sure your ammonia levels aren't getting high when you see that cloudiness.

spy1011 08-26-2007 11:41 PM

i dont use tap!

i dont use tap water i use spring and no i hae no gravel cleaner va or watever it is and i got a 10 gal tank to raise m baby fish for 2 month in then im gonna use them wit my 55 gal tank on october

jones57742 08-27-2007 03:31 AM

Spy:

25% weekly WC's are recommended.

If "I had to guess" I would speculate that your "spring water"

1) has nutrients for latent bacteria in your tank or

2) has bacteria which "feed on" the nutrients in your tank.

Do not know how "you are set up" but adding Clorox to your exchange water, allowing the chlorine to become effective for an hour and then dechlorinating IMHO may solve the cloudiness problem.

If you will provide me with the quantity of your 25% WC I will calculate the quantity of Clorox which needs to be added to the exchange water.

TR

mHeinitz57 08-27-2007 10:07 AM

the other thing you could do is try adding distilled water for the next water change. Normally I don't suggest distilled because it is completely stripped of nutrients but if it helps the cloudiness then you know the problem was with your water. Allowing the spring water to simply age in an open bucket for a few days will also help because bacteria will begin to feed off nutrients before the water gets into your tank.

Julie's Julies 08-27-2007 03:52 PM

A gravel vacuum is a really good thing to own. You can get different sizes based on the size of your tank. It's really just a siphon hose with a fancy nozzle that you plunge into the gravel to suck out all the fish waste, plant debris, and leftover food that falls to the bottom of the tank. It helps drain the tank easily for water changes, too. Just all around a very useful (and I would venture to say needed) piece of equipment. Any pet store or LFS should carry several for you to choose from.