Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   why are all my fish hanging out in one spot? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/why-all-my-fish-hanging-out-78130/)

khacho2 08-15-2011 03:24 PM

why are all my fish hanging out in one spot?

is it normal or am i doing something wrong that all my fish hang out at only the left side of my aquarium. it makes my aquarium look empty on the right side

ladayen 08-15-2011 03:28 PM

Hmm.. maybe a picture would help us understand better, if you can provide that possibly? Otherwise, are you sure it's all your fish? Is there one still on the other side that might be chasing the others away?

tf1265 08-15-2011 03:35 PM

Is there something on that side of the tank that isn't on the left? Filter, heater, air stone, etc? Are your water conditions normal?

willow 08-15-2011 03:36 PM

could do with a little more information on your tank really please.
what filter are you running,perhaps the outflow is too strong ?
what fish are they,is the tank planted ,what decore do you have.
when you say hanging out at one end,where abouts are they sitting ?

edit.
just realised your a saltie,please excuse me,and i doubt anything i've said will be
of any use.
sorry.

khacho2 08-15-2011 04:00 PM

I have a circulatory pump on the left side and a hob on the back left side of my tank. I also have a protein skimmer on the right side which gives water flow. Can this be a water circulation issue
Posted via Mobile Device

tf1265 08-15-2011 04:06 PM

It could be. Try switching the pump and filter to the other side and see if they follow. Or try moving the skimmer and see if they stay away from it.

Are your chemical levels normal? Temperature? If they're hanging out by the air source, is the water too warm? What kind of filter do you have? Maybe they're hanging out by the filter because of something in the water they don't like. What are the pH and ammonia levels? Do you add anything to water?

What kind of fish? Are they fish that like current, or fish that prefer calm water?

On second thought, I don't know anything about saltwater tanks or fish. It might be worth moving some of the equipment around to see if that's WHAT the problem is, but I have no advice on how to fix it. Sorry!

Reefing Madness 08-15-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khacho2 (Post 784418)
I have a circulatory pump on the left side and a hob on the back left side of my tank. I also have a protein skimmer on the right side which gives water flow. Can this be a water circulation issue
Posted via Mobile Device

Could be. Just what kind of pump is it? Whats the gph? Are you blasting all the fish into the other side?

khacho2 08-15-2011 07:50 PM

It's a hydor koralia evolution 1400. I have a 60 gallon dimensions 48x15x17. The fish all hang out by the pump but the pump is blowing towards the back of the aquarium
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 08-15-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khacho2 (Post 784730)
It's a hydor koralia evolution 1400. I have a 60 gallon dimensions 48x15x17. The fish all hang out by the pump but the pump is blowing towards the back of the aquarium
Posted via Mobile Device

They hanging out by the pump where there is the least current. Put the pump on the side of the tank and blow it towards the center. 1400? WOW!! Would be better if you had 2 550 or 2 750's. One on each side of the tank blwoing towards the center.

khacho2 08-15-2011 09:52 PM

I think I should just take them out and buy two 750's but I had great water quality since day 1 with this pump never have I got any type if issue or spikes in parameters.
Posted via Mobile Device