Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tank Makeover (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-makeover-78029/)

spike0544 08-14-2011 01:46 PM

Tank Makeover

So the Silver Dollars that the LFS recommended to me destroyed half of my plants in about a week, so I decided to start over. I removed all of the fish except for my emperor pleco than all of the driftwood and plants. I salvaged what was left of the plants and redid the aquascape of the tank. i changed around the driftwood replanted the tank with what I had left and added some new plants.
I returned the fish for store credit and came home with 5 baby Angelfish, 3 black and white marbled and 2 platinum. What a day!!
I want to take my time a get the perfect stock for the tank, so I never have to do this again. I am thinking of adding a shoal of Cories and shoal of tetra, something from South America. This tank is a 55 gallon, sorry I forgot to mention that, with two Tetra EX70 filters rated for 340 GPH each. What size shoal's should I go with and is there any particular species of Cory or Tetra that look exceptionally well with Angelfish? I know I want to stay away from anything too small that would be eaten.

BarbH 08-14-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike0544 (Post 782930)
So the Silver Dollars that the LFS recommended to me destroyed half of my plants in about a week, so I decided to start over. I removed all of the fish except for my emperor pleco than all of the driftwood and plants. I salvaged what was left of the plants and redid the aquascape of the tank. i changed around the driftwood replanted the tank with what I had left and added some new plants.
I returned the fish for store credit and came home with 5 baby Angelfish, 3 black and white marbled and 2 platinum. What a day!!
I want to take my time a get the perfect stock for the tank, so I never have to do this again. I am thinking of adding a shoal of Cories and shoal of tetra, something from South America. This tank is a 55 gallon, sorry I forgot to mention that, with two Tetra EX70 filters rated for 340 GPH each. What size shoal's should I go with and is there any particular species of Cory or Tetra that look exceptionally well with Angelfish? I know I want to stay away from anything too small that would be eaten.

Congrats on your new angels, will need to post pictures of them ;-) Corys will be fine with the angels, I have both bronze and pepper in with mine. As for the tetras I would check out the fish profiles if you haven't already, can be found at the top of the page second tab from the left. I have a group of black widow tetras, which in their profile does say they can be kept with angels although tend to be nippy if kept in low numbers. I have seen however on different posts of people saying that this fish should not be kept with angels. My group so far has left my angels alone and have kept to themselves, although others may have a different experience.

spike0544 08-14-2011 07:18 PM

Sounds like you have a very nice tank. I think I am interested in something a little more sedate than the Black Widow Tetra. I was thinking Rummynose Tetra, but I am not sure how big I need to go. The profile says 2 inches max. As for cories I like the Sterbai and the Leopard species. Unfortunately Sterbai's are quite expensive around my area. How much room do i have for the shoal's. I was thinking 10-12 of each. is that too many or do I have room for more? I think the bigger the shoals the better.

BarbH 08-14-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike0544 (Post 783356)
Sounds like you have a very nice tank. I think I am interested in something a little more sedate than the Black Widow Tetra. I was thinking Rummynose Tetra, but I am not sure how big I need to go. The profile says 2 inches max. As for cories I like the Sterbai and the Leopard species. Unfortunately Sterbai's are quite expensive around my area. How much room do i have for the shoal's. I was thinking 10-12 of each. is that too many or do I have room for more? I think the bigger the shoals the better.

You will probably be fine with 10-12, on the corys I am sure, for the tetras I think so, but will let someone else chime in on that. Looking at the profiles the one thing I would worry about the brilliant rummy nose tetra is that it would be to small and may become angel food they say the max size is 2 inches but sounds like usually smaller than that. Maybe someone has had experience with keeping them with angels who will share. What I did see on the profile is that there is also a false rummy nose tetra, that the profile says is better suited with angels than the brilliants. They get to over 2 inches the profile says 2.8. Either I think would look good with the angels.

jeaninel 08-15-2011 01:06 AM

Just my experience... I had rummies (H. Bleheri) with my angel with no problems. Emperor, Pristella or Lemon tetra would look nice also.

spike0544 08-15-2011 04:49 AM

Does 12 Tetra seem like the right number for my stocking? I would love to have a larger school, but not at the expense of the fish.

Byron 08-15-2011 12:22 PM

Corys: all species are fine with angelfish. If you go with different species, 5-6 of each is quite nice. You are correct, with corys the more the better, but your space is not limitless.;-) In a 55g tank I think a total group of up to 20 corys would be nice. Especially with lots of bogwood chunks on the substrate. They love having wood and plants to browse over continually.

For tetra, groups of 2 or 3 species would be fine, with 7-11 of each depending upon species and your preferences. With either rummynose species, more is always better, never less than 12. They are very tight shoaling fish. And the False Rummy, Petitella georgiae, is better with angels though not as brilliantly coloured as Hemigrammus bleheri. I have both together in my 115g, 20 in all. Spectacular. If the angels are smallish the Brilliant Rummynose should be OK. The False is less easy to find, unless you have a store that imports from South America.

Most of the species in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon are ideal with angelfish. There are some 30 species, several are in our profiles (use the scientific name listing and check the species in Hyphessobrycon. Hyphessobrycon bentosi is my favourite, the colour is astounding. These species are disk-shaped with complements angels nicely. Some can be nippy, the Bleeding Heart for instance was nasty for another member. The phantoms (black and red) are in this group too. Avoid the Serpae, they are notorious fin nippers and angelfish are too much of a temptation.

Someone mentioned Black Widow Tetra (Black Skirt is another common name), these are risky; while this group or that group may be OK, the species as a whole does tend to be nippy with slow fish and is best avoided. Same for Emperor Tetra. I had to get rid of mine because the males terrorized all the other fish in the 115g tank. Here again, different fish can have varying temperaments. But to avoid "possible" trouble, take the advice in the profiles and avoid the species that have these traits.

Byron.

spike0544 08-15-2011 06:59 PM

Thank you for all the help and advice. I think I will start with the cory cats. I can't seem to make up mind with the tetra and I don't want to get anything I will regret, like the Silver Dollars. I need to reread the profiles and shop around some. Do you think Cardinal Tetra would be alright?

BarbH 08-15-2011 08:28 PM

Do you know what the hardness and the ph is for the tank? From the profile does show need fairly soft acidic water. I know many tank raised fishes are able to adapt mre than wild caught, not sure for cardinals? Otherwise I think they would be another good option with the angels if the water conditions will work for them.

Byron 08-15-2011 08:33 PM

Soft water is essential for cardinal tetra.

As for angelfish compatibility, it's hit and miss. Some have had luck, others not. Both neon and cardinals will be eaten by mature angelfish, unquestionably. Why some have small angels grow up and tolerate neon tetra or cardinals, I don't know; but it is the exception not the norm.

That's why i suggested the Hyphessobrycon rosy clade, they are disk-shaped and thus less of a "meal" to the angels. Long torpedo-shaped fish are the opposite. This is the issue with the Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra--which by the way also requires very soft water.