Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Otos eating vegetables covered in bacteria? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/otos-eating-vegetables-covered-bacteria-77967/)

leogtr 08-13-2011 08:25 PM

Otos eating vegetables covered in bacteria?

after a while, when the vegetables have been in the water for some time they begin to be covered by bacteria right?

do the Otos eat around that or do they eat it too? and if they do eat it will that harm their health?

thank you for your responses have a nice day:)

DKRST 08-13-2011 08:36 PM

My first question is how long are you leaving the veggies in the tank? After 36-48 hours, zucchini can get kind of ripe in my tank. Generally animals tend to avoid food that might harm them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to leave old food in the tank. Fresh food is always better and Otos don't feed on bacteria, that I know of. It is possible if the bacterial levels get too high that it could impact the tank and the decomposing veggies won't help either.

leogtr 08-13-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 782056)
My first question is how long are you leaving the veggies in the tank? After 36-48 hours, zucchini can get kind of ripe in my tank. Generally animals tend to avoid food that might harm them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to leave old food in the tank. Fresh food is always better and Otos don't feed on bacteria, that I know of. It is possible if the bacterial levels get too high that it could impact the tank and the decomposing veggies won't help either.

I just left a slice of zucchini, some romaine and a little carrot yesterday. They are covered in this kind of fuzzy stuff. It makes a layer around the vegetables and other food that was not eaten. I removed the algae tablet because it was completely covered. I cleaned the carrot and the zucchini is softening.

what do you think should I remove it? One of the Otos is on the carrot I think he really likes it :)

thank you for your response!

1077 08-13-2011 11:16 PM

I usually place one slice of vegetables in the tank after light's out for the day and remove this after 10 or twelve hours. Vegetable matter does not contain animal proteins that other fish foods do so it does not foul the water as quickly as flake or pellet foods left decaying in the tank which usually means too much food is being offered.
I feed my fish once a day, and no more than I actually SEE them eat in a minute or two.

Beaches 08-14-2011 02:50 AM

+ 1 with DKRST and 1077.

I only leave veggiesi in overnight, put it in the tank just before going to bed and remove it first thing the next morning. I do think you may be leaving them in there too long, I have never encountered them growing a fuzz on them.

I would only feed one particular vegetable at a time and alternate the nights you give them the algae wafers, zucchini, carrot etc. I also soften them first in a bit of water in the microwave.

genewitch 08-14-2011 03:32 AM

i don't do vegetable feeding but can you take a picture of this fuzzy stuff? is it a different color or could it possible be CO2 or something clinging to the stuff? are you feeding this to top, middle, or bottom feeders? can you put it in a clip if it is for middle/top feeders?

I know sinking food pellets and chips get "fuzzy" because of water logging. I'd imaging fresh vegetables try to osmosis the salinity to equilibrium if left alone for 24 hours... which would look "fuzzy" in a fashion. But spores/white fuzz would cause me alarm!

DKRST 08-14-2011 11:37 AM

It sounds like your "fuzzy" stuff may be a fungus. You can avoid rapid surface fungus growth by blanching the veggies. Blanching is putting the veggies into boiling water for a short time and then puting them into ice water to stop the cooking process. It pretty much wrecks lettuce if you blanch it very long. Each type of veggie may have a different blanch time. You can search "blanching ___" on the internet and find times for each veggie. You can also search "blanching" or "blanched" here and find more info. Blanching also softens the veggies which may be helpful to otos (and young plecos from my experience).

I blanch zucchini for my plecos and it holds in my tanks for 24 hours without a problem. Beyond that, it can actually start to stink from decomposition. I once left some zucchini in for 36 hours and my 10 gallon tank water had a really funky odor, necessitating a rapid water change..

leogtr 08-14-2011 12:04 PM

thank you for your responses everyone. I will make sure the vegetables are not it the tank longer than 12 hours. Ill try to get a pic of the fuzzy stuff if the camera captures it well. I will also do the blanching bath that sounds good.

thanks again guys :)

DKRST 08-14-2011 12:11 PM

One final note about blanching. The process is used for vegetables because it deactivates some enzymes and makes the veggies last longer in the freezer. I blanch a bunch of zucchini slices (a bunch being only 2 whole zucchini!) and freeze them. Then I just pull a piece out of the frozen zip-loc bagful when I need one. Freeze individual vegetable pieces on wax paper or non-stick cookie sheet before bagging them or you'll have one big frozen-together lump.

Note-don't even try to freeze blanched spinach or lettuce :-)

leogtr 08-14-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 782772)
One final note about blanching. The process is used for vegetables because it deactivates some enzymes and makes the veggies last longer in the freezer. I blanch a bunch of zucchini slices (a bunch being only 2 whole zucchini!) and freeze them. Then I just pull a piece out of the frozen zip-loc bagful when I need one. Freeze individual vegetable pieces on wax paper or non-stick cookie sheet before bagging them or you'll have one big frozen-together lump.

Note-don't even try to freeze blanched spinach or lettuce :-)

ohh very interesting ill keep this in mind DKRST! thank you very much for your help!!