Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20 Gallon Long Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20-gallon-long-tank-7786/)

BoxTop 08-23-2007 10:24 PM

20 Gallon Long Tank

Ive just gotten this 20 gallon long tank from my brother and is this stocking list ok?
5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras
1 Silver Sailfin Molly
1 Sailfin Molly (Orange with black fins)

Im open to any other stocking suggestions :p
Oh and can i feed them brine shrimp, if so how often?

Lupin 08-23-2007 10:26 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com, BoxTop.:wave:

I'd get rid of the mollies. They're far too big for a 20 gallons. Stick with tetras, hatchetfish and corydoras for that tank.

What other foods do you plan to feed your fish?

Good luck.:)

BoxTop 08-23-2007 10:32 PM

Thanks! :P

hmmm instead of the mollies could i get 5 Harlequin Rasbora?

oh and i just plan to feed them tropical flakes daily with the replacement of brine shrimp occasionally

Lupin 08-24-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxTop
hmmm instead of the mollies could i get 5 Harlequin Rasbora?

Yes, you can.:)

Amphitrite 08-24-2007 04:19 AM

What sort of substrate are you planning on having in the tank, and are you going to have it planted?

beetlebz 08-24-2007 08:05 AM

nice grab boxtop! im a big fan of schooling fish, i think youre going to love that tank with the tetras and rasboras in it.

dont forget to get us pictures when you get the tank cycled and start puttin the little guys in here :)

BoxTop 08-25-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateyoup
What sort of substrate are you planning on having in the tank, and are you going to have it planted?

Just normal gravel with fake plants :]

oo and what would happen if i were to put old blue gravel from a friend and covered it with new black gravel?
His tank is cycled

willow 08-25-2007 04:58 PM

hello
mind the neons because they die,they atre sensitive little
things,and not hardy for a new tank.
umm the gravel will help,
also ask your brother from some filter media
if he can spare some,that will helpyou to
cycle quicker. :)

BoxTop 08-29-2007 08:53 PM

Ohhhh im soooo tempted to add 5 Serpae Tetra's in addition to the list since they cost only 1 dollar if bought 5 or more :I
Would it be OK if the list changed to:
5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras
5 Harelequin Rashbora
5 Serpae Tetra

Thanks to everybody's help :]

Lupin 08-29-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxTop
Ohhhh im soooo tempted to add 5 Serpae Tetra's in addition to the list since they cost only 1 dollar if bought 5 or more :I
Would it be OK if the list changed to:
5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras
5 Harelequin Rashbora
5 Serpae Tetra

Thanks to everybody's help :]

Resist the temptation. Serpaes are not exactly cutie-pies as you expect.:wink2: I doubt the neon tetras will defend themselves from being nipped/harassed. I've received reports from my pet stores whose customers complained about their serpaes killing their other tankmates. I have them before and they are quite vicious fin nippers. A 20g does not have sufficient space for the bullied ones to escape..let alone hide.