Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Pregnant Guppy

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Lupin 
#1 ·
I bought two fancy guppy from the local pet store and I knew right away the female was preggo. (that's why I picked her). We've had her for over a week and she recently has started to hide and lay on the bottom hardly moving. This has gone on for four days. She still eats and swims but seems to get tired and go into hiding and laying ont he bottom again.

The male sticks very close to her and if she comes out too long he pokes her back into hiding. Is she going to give birth soon?

how long does this process take? I know it can take up to 28 days but I mean how long does the actually birthing process take? Is a week too long?

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

I can only suggest you move her in another tank which she'll occupy by herself. Provide several plants as well because at this point, she will only be severely stressed. Two weeks might do it but they often drop their fry faster than just two weeks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply :p

I have in the past successfully bred platys. This is a new 55 gallon tank and has only been up for about 3 weeks. We don't have a smaller tank yet. So she can act all droopy and laying on the bottom for about two weeks? So I shouldn't sit outside the tank staring at her all night? :D

#4 ·
If you can provide plenty of plants, she will be able to drop her fry without being stressed. A stressed fish can prematurely drop her fry resulting in a large percentage of stillborns.

#5 ·
Well I came home and mommy's black spot was gone. She keeps going to the same spot and laying on the bottom. I'm not certain she is going to make it. We looked for about 30 minutes and could not find any babies. We peeked in plants and rocks and gravel. Maybe the babies were all eaten. :(

#6 ·
novice_fry said:
Well I came home and mommy's black spot was gone. She keeps going to the same spot and laying on the bottom. I'm not certain she is going to make it. We looked for about 30 minutes and could not find any babies. We peeked in plants and rocks and gravel. Maybe the babies were all eaten. :(
It is possible that all fry were eaten but you have to realize guppies are extremely prolific and should drop more fry in the incoming days again. They weren't known million fish for nothing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.