Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   My Mystery snail got out (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/my-mystery-snail-got-out-7769/)

coley 08-23-2007 09:20 AM

My Mystery snail got out

I found him/her on the floor after I got home from work yesterday. It must have crawled through the opening by the filter. My 2 year old daughter found it. That was a hard one to explain. I told her the snail was sick and I have to take it to the doctor.......I'll stop at the pet store on the way home today and I hope all will be well. It's too bad, we all liked that snail.

Falina 08-23-2007 11:16 AM

Sorry to hear that. :(

Trishfish 08-23-2007 04:46 PM

Cover all tank openings with tin foil if nothing else. I recommend plastic canvas mesh used for needlepoint. It's less than a dollar, flexible, easy to cut to fit; just tape in place.

If the shell is intact (and it's a type of apple snail that has a lung and gill) it can survive a week out of water tightly closed up.

herefishy 08-23-2007 08:11 PM

Ooooh, escargot. sorry for the loss. It's unbelievable that some of these little critters find their way out using the tiniest of spaces.

coley 08-24-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trishfish
Cover all tank openings with tin foil if nothing else. I recommend plastic canvas mesh used for needlepoint. It's less than a dollar, flexible, easy to cut to fit; just tape in place.

If the shell is intact (and it's a type of apple snail that has a lung and gill) it can survive a week out of water tightly closed up.

Thanks, but he was a gone. His "door" was open.

fish_4_all 08-24-2007 12:43 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I have not had them climb out yet but have lost them due to poor care from the supplier so I knopw how it goes.

One thing though, again I have never had them climb out and I think there might be a chance that something is wrong with your tank. Did you test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? How about pH, KH and GH? Is just a shot in the dark but could be the reason the snail was looking for "cleaner water".

coley 08-24-2007 01:37 PM

The big 3 are very good. 0,0 and 20. pH is high around 7.8. I haven't tested the other two lately. I do at least a 50% water change every week and vacuum half the tank while I'm at it.

One thing I did notice was my water level was high. I did a water change the day before and I guess I filled it up more than normal. It was almost touching the canopy....which might have given him access to the roof.

fish_4_all 08-24-2007 01:56 PM

Well good job with the tank parameters. That shoulnd't be the reason unless the water is really soft. You might have just had a wanderer. Oh and I simply love plastic canvas. It is so easy to cut, so easy to fit into places and so versatile. Just a tip on using it, if oyu are worried about the sharp edges let when you cut it, use a lighter and run it along the edge and the sharpness will go away.

beetlebz 08-24-2007 03:40 PM

sorry for your loss buddy :(

i guess the grass isnt always wetter on the otherside

willow 08-24-2007 05:19 PM

aww sorry bout that,what a shame,
i'll echo above,maybe wondered due to the high water,