Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Pennywort Fur? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/pennywort-fur-77646/)

flowerslegacy 08-10-2011 02:27 PM

Pennywort Fur?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I've had this Brazilian Pennywort for about 3 weeks. It's never really taken off, yet it never actually died either. I've kept it in the tank in hopes it would survive. Today, I found this "fur" on one of the stems. The picture is not the best and I tried from several angles. This is the best I could get.

It actually looks a little hairy - longer wispy hairs. But overall it looks like fur. I'm assuming it's decomposing and it's a mold? I've had a lot of issues with this tank. Currently it is fishless and it appears to be cycling. The ammonia is 0 but the nitrites are at .50ppm. Two days ago the nitrites were over 5.0ppm. I'm hoping I don't have to remove all the water and start over!! Ugh! Thanks for your input.

Romad 08-10-2011 02:36 PM

I don't have any Pennywort but they sure look like roots to me.

I'm sure others who do have it will chime in soon.

flowerslegacy 08-10-2011 03:20 PM

Hi Romad, the fur is higher up on the stem. I know the photo is bad. Look at the stem on the far right, the one that is leading up to the top of the water. It's between the water level and the leaf. In the photo it just looks like a blurry splotch around the stem. Up close, the fur looks more like thin little hairs - like something you might comb off of the tail of your cat.

EDIT: The plants smelled like they were dead so I removed them from the tank. I noticed that each leaf was starting to grow little clumps of fur/hairs.

Does this rotting require that I do a water change?

Byron 08-10-2011 05:26 PM

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I get it too, sometimes very badly. In my case, it appears mostly on the roots of Water Sprite, but only in certain tanks--the ones with crypts and cyanobacteria, if that is any connection.:-? I have assumed it is organics-related. It isn't easy to clean off, sometimes I try, sometimes i chuck the plant.

Your Pennywort isn't looking bad, I would not toss that out (in the photo).

Byron.

flowerslegacy 08-10-2011 07:36 PM

Dang! I threw it out! I agree, it didn't look bad, but it sure did smell bad.

Romad 08-11-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowerslegacy (Post 776617)
Hi Romad, the fur is higher up on the stem. I know the photo is bad. Look at the stem on the far right, the one that is leading up to the top of the water. It's between the water level and the leaf. In the photo it just looks like a blurry splotch around the stem. Up close, the fur looks more like thin little hairs - like something you might comb off of the tail of your cat.

EDIT: The plants smelled like they were dead so I removed them from the tank. I noticed that each leaf was starting to grow little clumps of fur/hairs.

Does this rotting require that I do a water change?

Ha ha :) I really tried to see something other than those roots after your first post and never did. The eyes must be getting old :-)

flowerslegacy 08-11-2011 12:18 PM

It wasn't your eyes! My picture was just bad :) I found a little bit more of the furry/hairy stuff during my last water changes. It was on my Wisteria too. I just cleaned it off. I'm mad at myself that I threw that Pennywort away! With all the new plants I've added, and the little bits of initial die off, including my Indian Almond Leaves, the organics is causing this furry stuff. I'll just keep an eye on it - after all, I think I stare at my tanks more often than my daughter!! I need therapy. Thanks everyone!

flowerslegacy 08-14-2011 11:36 PM

Updated Pic of the Fur

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I was able to get a better photo of the "fur" I discovered on my Pennywort. Is this Hair Algea? Or a fungus? Is it the same thing in my first pic that was growing on the stem of my Pennywort? I'm starting to find it on most of my other plants too. I even found a clump of it on the rocks, under one of my aquarium caves. In this pic, you'll see that it's growing on the last plastic plant I have in my tank. You can see that it's wispy and hairy, although in the first pic it looks more spherical. Are these the same things or two different issues? I want to make sure it's not lethal to my tank or my fish. I'd also like to know how to control it. Currently I'm just removing the plants and rinsing them off in conditioned water. I'm a complete plant novice and this is my first planted tank. Thanks!

BlueramFan 08-15-2011 08:14 AM

Not sure but it looks like brown hair algae..but im sort of a novice as far as plants go as well. Couldnt hurt to give it a dose of Algae fix by...umm by flourish or seachem..not sure
just a suggestion

Byron 08-15-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowerslegacy (Post 783627)
Hi Everyone,

I was able to get a better photo of the "fur" I discovered on my Pennywort. Is this Hair Algea? Or a fungus? Is it the same thing in my first pic that was growing on the stem of my Pennywort? I'm starting to find it on most of my other plants too. I even found a clump of it on the rocks, under one of my aquarium caves. In this pic, you'll see that it's growing on the last plastic plant I have in my tank. You can see that it's wispy and hairy, although in the first pic it looks more spherical. Are these the same things or two different issues? I want to make sure it's not lethal to my tank or my fish. I'd also like to know how to control it. Currently I'm just removing the plants and rinsing them off in conditioned water. I'm a complete plant novice and this is my first planted tank. Thanks!

It is certainly not "lethal" so don't worry on that account. Normally hair algae is green. The brown "fur" I get is denser than this, but I suspect related.

Chemicals are never the way to deal with algae or organic-related issues. One must find the cause and correct that. In this case, it is not something I would worry about in the last photo, but if it increases then we could look at light, organics (fish load, feeding, maintenance, fertilization, etc).

Chemicals frequently do more harm than good. Any substance that allegedly "kills" algae will also kill plants, or be detrimental. And any chemical regardless of what it is will have an impact on fish. It is my principle that nothing should go into a tank with fish except what is absolutely essential, and a water conditioner and plant fertilizer are the only two essentials except for necessary treatment for a health problem.

Byron.