Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Suckermouth (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/suckermouth-77630/)

deanb 08-10-2011 10:43 AM

Suckermouth

Right i have just bought 2x sucker mouth catfish both are loving their environment however i am wondering if they will ever eat/clean any of my sand or do i need to get something else to help too?

BarbH 08-10-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanb (Post 776148)
Right i have just bought 2x sucker mouth catfish both are loving their environment however i am wondering if they will ever eat/clean any of my sand or do i need to get something else to help too?

What do you mean by sucker mouth catfish and what do you mean by cleaning the sand. If you are talking about eating leftover food, some bottom fish will do so if the food has not spoiled yet. But these fish still need to be supplied with a food source, they can not live soley on the scraps of others. If you are looking for a fish that is going to clean up the waste from the bottom, there is no such thing. That is what gravel vacs and us are for. Snails will eat a bunch of different things including detritus, but they are not going to be the miracle cleaner for your tank.

deanb 08-10-2011 11:34 AM

oh right i was under the impression they would really help keep the tank clean maybe not all but a lot of it is this untrue then? The guy said Corys were also good for cleaning the substrate too is he wrong?

BarbH 08-10-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanb (Post 776201)
oh right i was under the impression they would really help keep the tank clean maybe not all but a lot of it is this untrue then? The guy said Corys were also good for cleaning the substrate too is he wrong?

Bottom feeding fish like cories and others in the catfish family will eat food that reaches the bottom of the tank. But they still need to be feed specifically, I throw in sinking pellets every couple of days after the lights are out to give them a better chance since I have angels that will even try to eat algae discs. Some of the plecos will eat specific types of algae, but as most of them mature they will stop eating algae and their diets need to be supplemented with a prepared food. None of these fish will eat detritus that is sitting on the bottom of the tank, and if food is spoiled they will not eat that either. Unfortunately many times the advice given at petstores and fish stores are not accurate.

If you have not seen the profile section that is here, I would suggest that you look at that. It will give you more information about the different type of fish that you are interested in keeping. The link for the profiles can be found at the top of the page second tab from the left.

Also do you know what type of fish that you did get when you say sucker fish?

Christople 08-10-2011 12:57 PM

what size tank also

Byron 08-11-2011 10:26 AM

Barb has said it so well, all I will add is to second the snail suggestion. One of the small snails is worth having in any aquarium; they get into places even we cannot reach, although they do not handle everything, but they sure help. The Malaysian Livebearing Snail is the best, as it burrows through the substrate helping the bacteria by breaking down waste.

Byron.

deanb 08-11-2011 11:36 AM

first of all dont snail breed really quickly? I dont have any so maybe an idea? My tank is 70litre so not the biggest by any means but they seem to be loving the glass at the moment

deanb 08-11-2011 11:37 AM

As for the typr all I know is they are suckermouth catfish black/brown colour with white spots over them really cute to look at though

BarbH 08-11-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanb (Post 778054)
first of all dont snail breed really quickly? I dont have any so maybe an idea? My tank is 70litre so not the biggest by any means but they seem to be loving the glass at the moment

Not all snails will breed quickly. Mystery snails need to have both female and male to be able to breed, they also lay their eggs above the water line, so if you do not want babies the eggs can always be scraped off the glass and the fish in the tank will eat them. There are other snails that will breed slowly, someone with more experience with snails will be able to tell you more about that. Pond snails, aka bladder snails, and I believe ramshorn snails will breed quickly. If the population gets to be more than what you want there are ways to be able to remove unwanted excess of snails. That can be explained later if you want to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanb (Post 778056)
As for the typr all I know is they are suckermouth catfish black/brown colour with white spots over them really cute to look at though

To determine the type of fish that you have please check out the tropical fish profiles section. You can find the link at the top of the page second tab from the left. Once there look under the catfishes, commonly sold corys and different types of plecos are listed there. There are pictures with most of the profiles that can help you figure out what exactly you have. Or if you have excess to a camera you can always take a picture and post it here and we can try to help identify the fish. Some of the plecos, like the common pleco will grow to a very large size which is not suitable for most aquariums, since they need at least 75 gallons or more and get very large. There is also the chinese algae eater which will eat the slime coat off of other fish, not good.