Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Feeding neon tetras (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/feeding-neon-tetras-77628/)

Ami 08-10-2011 10:22 AM

Feeding neon tetras

Hi,
I was wondering if I am feeding my neon tetras correctly. I've been using Aqueon tropical fish flakes. The danios gobble them up in one corner when I sprinkle them. I feed the neons in a different area by soaking the flakes between my fingers and then dispersing them in the water. I was hoping that they'd gobble them up. But they seem to just get close to the flakes and then move on.
Any pointers?

~Ami

deanb 08-10-2011 11:39 AM

I wouldnt worry they will be eating them just take little nibbles at a time. You could try using live food but flakes will be fine my 10 neons are currently eating siamese fighter food which is small flakes crushed up with shrimp in (got it on reduced section at garden centre) and they love it!

Byron 08-11-2011 10:23 AM

I would suggest a combination of different foods, for all fish. A variety of 3 or 4 (or more) different types will ensure complete nutrition and if there are some fish that dislike this or that they will still find something they like, or should. Just as with us, variety in foods is more interesting. One of the four should be vegetable-based, such as a good quality Kelp/Spirulina/Algae-based food. Omega One foods are good, as are Hikari.

I use 4 different flake foods, alternating each morning. I also have 4 different sinking foods for the substrate feeders. I sometimes get different foods when one is finished, for more variety. It is interesting that some fish relish some foods that others scarcely touch, and vice versa.

Another food is frozen; bloodworms fed once or twice a week as a treat, or brine shrimp, or daphnia are all good foods. I still use dry foods (flake, pellet, sinking) as "basics" once a day except water change day when they are not fed. Frozen and live foods are "treats."

Byron.

redchigh 08-11-2011 10:27 AM

I really just feed my fish 2 different flakes, and a homemade gel food twice a week (made from shrimp, spinach, garlic, and vitamins)

For the neons, instead of soaking the flake, try crushing it real fine and sprinkling it on top of the water. It will sink really slowly and be more 'bite-size'

Reece 08-11-2011 11:27 AM

Why don't you feed your fish when you change the water?

Byron 08-12-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 778042)
Why don't you feed your fish when you change the water?

You should not feed the fish prior to a water change, or any similar disturbance such as moving them. It has to do with their metabolism, I'm not exactly sure technically, but this advice is prevalent from experienced hobbists and biologists. Perhaps it is something akin to humans not eating before undertaking exercise or strenuous physical activity.